Iran: Earthquake - Jan 1997
Most read reports
- On 4 February 1997 three earthquakes
measuring 5.4, 6.1 and 4.0 on the Richter scale rocked
Northern Khorasan, and to date the area has experienced approx. 500 aftershocks.
2. The UN Resident Coordinator reports the following information, released on 19 February by the National Disaster Task Force of the Ministry of Interior, on the loss and damages :
- 82 dead in Bojnord
- 6 dead in Shirvan
- 498 injured and hospitalized
- 1,450 injured
- 106 villages damaged in Bojnord
- 67 villages damaged in Shirvan
THIS APPEAL SEEKS CHF 9,012,000
IN CASH AND KIND
Ref: DHAGVA - 97/0056
1. On 4 February 1997 three earthquakes measuring 5.4, 6.1 and 4.0 on the Richter scale (at 13.24 hours, 14.08 hours and 16.00 hours local time) rocked Northern Khorasan, and to date the area has experienced more than 290 aftershocks.
DEPARTMENT OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS
On Tuesday, 4 February, an earthquake registering
5.4 on the Richter scale and an aftershock of 6.1 occurred in the province
of Khorasan in north-east Iran, near the border with Turkmenistan. The
cities of Bojnourd, Shirvan, Esfaraien, Ghochan, Neishapour, and districts
of Gobad and Minoodasht in Mazandaran province were all affected. The hardest
hit were the rural areas of Bojnourd and Shirvan districts. Three aftershocks
measuring 4.8, 3.8, and 5.7 were felt the next day.
This alert does not guarantee that an appeal will follow. To give your input, see contact at end of bulletin.
TEHRAN (Reuter) - A powerful aftershock on Wednesday jolted mountainous northeastern Iran as the toll from two earlier earthquakes rose to 72 dead and 200 injured, state-run Tehran radio said.
It said the aftershock, measuring 5.7 on the Richter scale, was centered near Bojnurd, about 360 miles northeast of Tehran. That's the same area which was the epicentre of two quakes measuring 5.4 and 6.1 on Tuesday.
- On 4 February 1997 three earthquakes measuring 5.4, 6.1 and 4.0 on the Richter scale (at 13.24 hours, 14.08 hours and 16.00 hours local time) rocked Northern Khorasan and East Mazandaran in north-eastern Iran. The cities of Shirvan, Ghochan, Bojnord, Esfarain, Sabzavar, Neishapor and Mashhad in Khorasan and Gondbad and Minoodasht in Mazandaran have been impacted.