West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- In March 2014, a rapidly evolving outbreak of Ebola haemorrhagic fever started in Guinea. The outbreak subsequently spread to Liberia, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Senegal, and Mali.
- 1 Aug 2014: WHO and the government of Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia launched a joint US$ 100 million response plan.
- 8 Aug 2014: WHO declared the Ebola outbreak in West Africa a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
- 28 Aug 2014: WHO issued a "roadmap" to scale up the international response.
- 19 Sep 2014: UN Mission for Ebola Emergency Response (UNMEER) established.
- 17 Oct 2014: WHO declared Senegal free of Ebola virus transmission.
- 20 Oct 2014: WHO declared Nigeria free of Ebola virus transmission.
- 19 Jan 2015: WHO declared Mali free of Ebola virus transmission.
- 21 Jan 2015: Updated Overview of Needs and Requirements for Jan-Jun 2015 launched.
- 8 May 2015: WHO declared Liberia free of Ebola virus transmission.
- 31 Jul 2015: UNMEER closed and transitioned oversight of the UN system’s Ebola emergency response to WHO as of 1 Aug.
- 7 Nov 2015: WHO declared Sierra Leone free of Ebola virus transmission.
- 29 Dec 2015: WHO declared the end of Ebola virus transmission in the Republic of Guinea.
- 14 Jan 2016: WHO declared the end of the most recent outbreak of Ebola virus disease in Liberia and said all known chains of transmission have been stopped in West Africa.
- 15 Jan 2016: A new case of Ebola has been confirmed in Sierra Leone. The country is still in a 90-day period of enhanced surveillance following the declaration on 7 November 2015 of the end of Ebola transmission in the country.
- 17 Mar 2016: WHO and the government of Sierra Leone marked the end of the recent flare-up of Ebola virus disease in the country.
- 18 Mar 2016: Guinean health officials in the region alerted WHO and partners on 16 March to 3 unexplained deaths in recent weeks in the village of Koropara and said other members of the same family are currently showing symptoms characteristic of Ebola.
- 29 Mar 2016: WHO said Ebola situation in West Africa no longer constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.
- 1 Jun 2016: WHO declares the end of Ebola virus transmission in the Republic of Guinea.
9 Jun 2016: WHO declares the end of the most recent Ebola virus disease outbreak in Liberia.
- UNMEER Situation Reports
Appeals & Funding
- International Ebola Recovery Conference, 9-10 Jul 2015
- Business Engagement Guide - In-kind Donations and Direct Engagement