Sri Lanka: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2009
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- IFRC: South Asia: Appeal 2009-2010 (MAA52001) - Annual report. 24 Apr 2010
- IFRC: South Asia Region: Plan 2010-2011 (MAA52001). 20 Oct 2009
- Govt. Sri Lanka: Sri Lanka: Presidential Taskforce on Dengue to be established. 25 May 2010
- TNH: SRI LANKA: Colombo braces for dengue outbreak. 8 Jun 2010
- Sri Lanka Red Cross: Combating dengue in the East for a safe environment. 8 Apr 2011
In the context of Asia Pacific Zone, its demographic, socio-economic and environmental trends, and the International Federation's strategic priorities, South Asia remains one of the most disadvantaged regions in the world and is vulnerable to health and disaster-related risks due to poor socio-economic conditions. The region has some of the highest levels of poverty, being home to about half of the world's poor (1).
The Asia Pacific region is home to more than half of the world's population, the majority of whom are poor and among the most disadvantaged in the world. Some 600 million women, men and children in the region live below the USD 1 a day poverty line, while 1.8 billion survive on less than USD 2 a day. Compounding the situation, the region is also highly disaster-prone. The diversity, scale and frequency of natural disasters across the region are daunting.