Sri Lanka: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2009
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- ReliefWeb: Sri Lanka: Dengue Outbreak (as of 05 Sep 2009) - Location Map. 7 Sep 2009
- IFRC: Asia Pacific Zone: Plan 2010 - 2011(MAA50001). 20 Oct 2009
- IFRC: South Asia Region: Plan 2010-2011 (MAA52001). 20 Oct 2009
- Govt. Sri Lanka: Sri Lanka: Presidential Taskforce on Dengue to be established. 25 May 2010
- ECOSOC: Broken, Fragmented National Health Systems Cause Deaths Around the Globe, World Health Organization Tells Population Commission in Ongoing Debate. 13 Apr 2010
By Necephor Mghendi and Lasse Norgaard, IFRC
The number of dengue cases is rising at an alarming rate in some countries across Asia as the rainy season intensifies. Health authorities have reported thousands of cases, including Sri Lanka with 22,000 patients seeking assistance and 29,000 in the Philippines, many in the province of Davao del Sur, which has declared a "state of emergency".
In Thailand figures have reached 40,000 - a five-year high - and Malaysia has reported 27,000 cases in the first seven months of the year.
There are concerns that numbers are likely to …