Tajikistan: Drought - Jun 2001
Most read reports
- World Bank: Boosting Financial Resilience to Natural Disasters in Central Asia. 31 Jul 2018
- IRI: The drought and humanitarian crisis in Central and Southwest Asia: A climate perspective. 30 Nov 2001
- FAO: FAO/GIEWS Food Outlook No. 2, 2002. 15 May 2002
- FAO: FAO/GIEWS Foodcrops and Shortages No. 5/2002. 30 Nov 2002
- WMO: WMO statement on the status of the global climate in 2001. 18 Dec 2001
Cities across Central Asia experienced catastrophic seismic shocks throughout the 20th century. For example, Tashkent – the most populated city in Central Asia today – was razed to the ground by a 7.5 magnitude earthquake in 1966, with over 300,000 people reportedly losing their homes. Turkmenistan’s capital city of Ashgabat was severely impacted by a 7.3 quake in 1948, with thousands of deaths reported.