Tajikistan: Drought - Jun 2001
Most read reports
- World Bank: Boosting Financial Resilience to Natural Disasters in Central Asia. 31 Jul 2018
- ECOSOC: DRAFT Strengthening of the coordination of emergency humanitarian assistance of the United Nations: Report of the Secretary-General. 14 May 2002
- FAO: FAO: Long term plans for drought mitigation and management in the Near East region. 9 Mar 2002
- Tufts Univ.: South Asia: Drought affected countries in the region. 10 May 2002
- FAO: FAO/GIEWS Food Outlook No. 1, 2002. 28 Feb 2002
Youngsters in remote areas of Tajikistan are suffering as the regional relief effort focuses on Afghanistan.
After three years of drought, torrential rain and locusts have destroyed thousands of acres of crops, heaping more problems on the country's desperate citizens.
WASHINGTON, May 21, 2002 - The following
project was approved today by the World Bank's Board.
CREDIT AMOUNT: US$13.80 million
TERMS: Grace period = 10 years; Maturity = 40 years
The U.S. National Intelligence Council (NIC) has released a report identifying 20 humanitarian emergencies worldwide, affecting approximately 42 million people. "Global Humanitarian Emergencies: Trends and Projections, 2001-2002" predicts that the international community will continue to respond and provide aid to these countries, but that resources will remain below needs.