China: Gas Well Explosion in Chongqing - Dec 2003
Most read reports
- IFRC: China: Gas Well Explosion in Chongqing - Information Bulletin n° 1. 30 Dec 2003
- ReliefWeb: China: Gas well explosion - Situation map. 30 Dec 2003
- Xinhua: China: Chongqing blowout victims receive 16 million yuan so far. 5 Jan 2004
- Xinhua: China: 290-strong gas poisoned people hospitalized in Chongqing. 26 Dec 2003
- Xinhua: Death toll rises to 243 in gas blowout in SW China. 4 Jan 2004
CHONGQING, Jan 5, 2004 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- The headquarters for the relief operation for Chongqing gas blowout victims has paid out 16.5 million yuan (2 million US dollars) in compensation to victims, according to sources with the rescue headquarters here Monday.
CHONGQING, Jan 4, 2004 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- The death toll from the gas blowout in Chongqing Municipality, southwest China, has risen to 243 after 10 more severely poisoned victims died in hospital, the rescue headquarters announced Sunday night.
Officials at the headquarters said 396 people were receiving treatment, 27 of them in critical condition.
The gas field in Kaixian County, operated by China National Petroleum Corporation, is 337 kilometers northeast of Chongqing. The tragedy, the worst of its kind in China, occurred at 10 p.m. on Dec.
This Information Bulletin is for information purposes only. The Federation is not seeking any funding or other assistance from donors for this operation at this time.
CHONGQING, Dec 26, 2003 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- More than 290 villagers have been hospitalized after they were poisoned after a gas field blowout that killed at least 191 people in southwest China's Chongqing Municipality, local doctors and officials said.
Local health bureau officials said most of those poisoned people were children and four of them were still in critical condition.