- Southern Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Jan 2017
- Zambia: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2016
- Southern Africa: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2015
- Zambia: Floods - Jan 2013
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2011
- Southern Africa: Floods - Mar 2010
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- Southern Africa: Floods - Dec 2008
- Southern Africa: Floods - Dec 2007
Aid agencies have called on the Australian Government to provide more funds for urgent food relief to counter a humanitarian disaster unfolding in southern Africa. They have also asked the Australian community to dig deep in supporting current emergency appeals.
ACFOA Council refers to the 2001 Council Resolutions on Zimbabwe, Debt and HIV/AIDS and notes that:
- Australian aid to Africa has, in real
terms, shrunk to half what it was in 1995-96. For the 2002/3 year, the
AusAID regional program allocation is $35 million. In contrast, the UK
Government has just announced a 50% increase in its aid to Africa to almost
A$3 billion, bringing its aid to 20 times Australia's per capita level.
Australia is not on target to meet the Millennium Development Goals in
relation to Africa.
Across Southern Africa millions of people are struggling for survival. The region is facing drastic food shortages resulting from severe drought compounded by the general economic downturn.