- Zambia: Cholera Outbreak - Oct 2017
- Southern Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Jan 2017
- Zambia: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2016
- Southern Africa: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2015
- Zambia: Floods - Jan 2013
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2011
- Southern Africa: Floods - Mar 2010
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- Southern Africa: Floods - Dec 2008
Maps & Infographics
Most read (last 30 days)
- Bulletin: Cholera and AWD Outbreaks in Eastern and Southern Africa, Regional Update for 2018 - as of 6 March 2018
- Bulletin: Cholera and AWD Outbreaks in Eastern and Southern Africa, Regional Update for 2018 - as of 18 February 2018
- Zambia is not a permanent home for Rwandan refugees, President Lungu says
- Zambia takes the keys away from 'drivers' of deforestation
- United Nations led partnership together with the Green Climate Fund to support nearly 1 million farmers in Zambia
JOHANNESBURG, 18 November (PLUSNEWS) - As a prevention and vulnerability advisor, Aurorita Mendoza is responsible for addressing the prevention needs of some of the population groups hardest-hit by the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Young people, who account for half of all new adult infections, were the focus of Mendoza's recent trip to Southern Africa, where she attended a consultative meeting on the Southern African Youth (SAY) on AIDS initiatives.
JOHANNESBURG, 27 October (PLUSNEWS) - The rise in the number of children orphaned by HIV/AIDS in Zambia has forced the World Food Programme (WFP) to scale up its assistance programmes in some of the country's urban centres.
JOHANNESBURG, 10 September (PLUSNEWS) - Street children and child workers in Zambia are being driven into commercial sex work, exposing them to the risk of HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted infections (STIs), a report has found.
JOHANNESBURG, 4 September (PLUSNEWS) - The explosive impact of HIV/AIDS on food security in Africa is now well recognised. But little has been done to empower rural communities with local resources to cope with this crisis, a report has found.
JOHANNESBURG, 9 June (PLUSNEWS) - A targeted urban intervention programme in Zambia is helping to keep orphans and vulnerable children in school by supporting their caretaker families.
JOHANNESBURG, 3 April (PLUSNEWS) - Carol Bellamy, the Executive Director of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) is visiting Southern Africa this week to bring attention to the particularly "devastating effect" the region's humanitarian crisis is having on women and girls. She spoke to PlusNews about the recently established UN Secretary-General's Task Force on HIV/AIDS and Women, and the need for women to be at the centre of responses to Southern Africa's humanitarian crisis.
JOHANNESBURG, 17 March (PLUSNEWS) - A recently launched UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) project in Zambia is providing vulnerable population groups in drought-affected areas with HIV/AIDS messages of hope.
JOHANNESBURG, 9 January (PLUSNEWS) - Stephen Lewis, the UN Secretary-General's Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa, spent two weeks in Southern Africa last month where he witnessed the dire combination of acute food shortages and the HIV/AIDS pandemic.
JOHANNESBURG, 8 January (PLUSNEWS) - The HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa could be turned around, despite the devastating toll on human lives, UN Secretary General's Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa Stephen Lewis, said on Tuesday.