- Zambia: Cholera Outbreak - Oct 2017
- Southern Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Jan 2017
- Zambia: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2016
- Southern Africa: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2015
- Zambia: Floods - Jan 2013
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2011
- Southern Africa: Floods - Mar 2010
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- Southern Africa: Floods - Dec 2008
Maps & Infographics
Most read (last 30 days)
- Bulletin: Cholera and AWD Outbreaks in Eastern and Southern Africa, Regional Update for 2018 - as of 2 February 2018
- Zambia: Agriculture Assessment Western Province, Zambia, August 2017
- Some Zambia schools reopen, others stay shut after cholera outbreak
- Zambia says it is on verge of containing cholera outbreak
- European Union team visits Kenani transit centre and Mantapala refugee settlement in Zambia
The ICRC's Harare Regional Delegation carries out humanitarian activities in Namibia, Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe and in collaboration with the National Red Cross Societies, focuses on visiting detainees to monitor their living conditions and treatment, improving access to water and sanitation and reconnecting families separated by conflict.
Below is an overview of the ICRC's Harare Regional Delegation work in 2015.
Visiting detainees and maintaining contact between separated families
In Zimbabwe, we
Lusaka, Zambia (ICRC) – Representatives from nine southern and central African countries are gathered in Lusaka for a two-day seminar, on 17 and 18 June; its aim is to promote adherence to the Convention on Cluster Munitions (CCM) amongst members of the Southern African Development Community (SADC), and to enable them to share best practices for passing domestic legislation to implement its provisions.
Pretoria (ICRC) – The ICRC and the Southern African Development Community (SADC) have recently concluded a memorandum of understanding that will strengthen relations between them and improve coordination of their activities.
The memorandum was signed on 15 May in Gaborone, Botswana, by Stergomena Lawrence Tax, the executive secretary of the SADC, and Jürg Eglin, the head of the ICRC's regional delegation in Pretoria.
The Harare regional delegation covers Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Its main activities are detainee welfare, assistance, restoring family links, cooperation with National Societies and the promotion of IHL.
The outgoing head of the ICRC regional delegation in Harare, Thomas Merkelbach started his assignment at a time when violence plagued Zimbabwe following the March 2008 elections, the economy was overwhelmed by hyperinflation and access to essential services was difficult. Three years on, he assesses the results achieved in Zimbabwe and the region and the challenges ahead.
What was the humanitarian situation when you arrived in Zimbabwe?
Le Comité international de la Croix-Rouge (CICR) va procéder à la réunification de 8 enfants non accompagnés et de 3 adultes vulnérables avec des membres de leurs familles.
Ces personnes proviennent de camps de réfugiés en Zambie. Ils font partie de ces nombreux civils qui ont fui les conflits à l'Est de la République démocratique du Congo (RDC) pour se réfugier dans des pays limitrophes, dont la Zambie.
News No. 04/30