- Zambia: Cholera Outbreak - Oct 2017
- Southern Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Jan 2017
- Zambia: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2016
- Southern Africa: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2015
- Zambia: Floods - Jan 2013
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2011
- Southern Africa: Floods - Mar 2010
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- Southern Africa: Floods - Dec 2008
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- UNHCR Zambia: Operation Overview (as of 30 November 2018)
- UNCHR Zambia: Mantapala Refugee Settlement - Proportion of Shelters within Flood Areas - simplified as of 30 November 2018
- UNCHR Zambia: Mantapala Refugee Settlement - Proportion of Shelters within Flood Areas as of 30 November 2018
- UNCHR Zambia: Refugees and Asylum Seekers from Democratic Republic of the Congo - As of 30 November 2018
- UNCHR Zambia: Mantapala Refugee Settlement - Distance from School - As of 30 November 2018
By Miriam Gathigah
NAIROBI, Jul 6 2018 (IPS) - Joshua Kiragu reminisces of years gone by when just one of his two hectares of land produced at least 40 bags of maize. But that was 10 years ago. Today, Kiragu can barely scrape up 20 bags from the little piece of land that he has left – it measures just under a hectare.
Kiragu, who is from Kenya’s Rift Valley region, tells IPS that years of extreme and drastic weather patterns continue to take their toll on his once-thriving maize business. His business, he says, has all but collapsed.
By Daan Bauwens
BRUSSELS, May 14, 2012 (IPS) - In an unprecedented move, all 27 EU development ministers championed budget support Monday as an effective way of reducing poverty in developing countries. At the same time they gave the green light to a new ground-breaking initiative to prevent new humanitarian crises in the Horn of Africa.
By Thalif Deen
STOCKHOLM, Aug 21 (IPS) - The widespread water scarcity in the African continent, impacting on the lives of nearly 300 million people, may be aggravated further by several new threats, including climate change, transboundary disputes and the negative fallout from military conflicts.
Par Granstedt, general secretary of the Association of European Parliamentarians for Africa (AWEPA), points out that the African continent has contributed least to the emissions causing climate change, but is hardest hit by their effects.
"We need to develop common strategies to …