Appeals & Response Plans
- Yemen: Diphtheria Outbreak - Nov 2017
- Yemen: Cholera Outbreak - Oct 2016
- Yemen: Flash Floods - Apr 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Megh - Nov 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Chapala - Nov 2015
- Yemen: Dengue Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Yemen: Floods - Aug 2013
- Horn of Africa: Polio Outbreak - May 2013
- Yemen: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2012
- Yemen: Floods - Jul 2010
Maps & Infographics
Most read (last 30 days)
- Statement on Behalf of the Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen, Jamie McGoldrick, on Mounting Civilian Casualties (28 December 2017)
- Yemen being pushed ever closer to famine: 1,000 days of war and a crippling blockade is starving its people [EN/AR]
- Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock – Statement on the humanitarian situation in Yemen, 5 January 2018 [EN/AR]
- Statement by the Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen, Jamie McGoldrick, on the vital importance of keeping Yemen's entry points open, 11 January 2018 [EN/AR]
- UNICEF Yemen Humanitarian Situation Report (November 2017) [EN/AR]
SANAA, 27 March 2007 (IRIN) - At least 35 migrants were confirmed dead and 113 others missing and presumed dead after making a perilous sea voyage from Somalia to Yemen, a Somali community leader told IRIN on Monday.
The migrants had left from the Somali port of Bossaso and crossed the Gulf of Aden.
GENEVA, March 26 (UNHCR) - The UN refugee agency said Monday that at least 29 people were confirmed dead and 71 others reported missing after knife-wielding smugglers forced some 450 Somalis and Ethiopians into stormy seas off the coast of Yemen.
"The incident, the latest in a series of tragedies involving smugglers' boats carrying people across the Gulf of Aden from Somalia, occurred last Thursday along a remote stretch of Yemen coastline at Ras-Alkalb," said a UNHCR press release, adding that it brought the total number of dead and missing so far this year in Yemen to …
This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Ron Redmond - to whom quoted text may be attributed - at the press briefing, on 23 March 2007, at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
Over the past 6 days, Yemen has again received more than 1,100 Somalis and Ethiopians who arrived on smuggling boats from Bosaso, Somalia, across the Gulf of Aden. According to our latest information, we believe that at least 28 people died during these recent voyages - from asphyxiation, beating or drowning - and many were badly injured by the smugglers.
By: Mohammed Al-Jabri
SANA'A, March 20 - The United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) said that needed increased resources to cope with refugees living in squalid conditions outside refugee camps, even though it has the second largest budget in Yemen. The annual UNHCR budget allocated for Yemen currently stands at $4.7million.
This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Ron Redmond - to whom quoted text may be attributed - at the press briefing, on 16 March 2007, at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
UNHCR's Assistant High Commissioner for Protection, Ms. Erika Feller, and our Geneva-based director for the Middle East and North Africa yesterday began a five-day mission to Yemen to review our operations in the country.
SANAA, 13 March 2007 (IRIN) - Thousands of residents of the northern province of Saada have been displaced from their homes following clashes between government troops and followers of the deceased Shia leader Hussein Badr Eddin al-Houthi.
Al-Houthi followers espouse anti-US and anti-Israeli sentiments, accusing the government of kowtowing to the US. Their popular refrain in mosques and public meetings is 'Death to America; curse to the Jews and victory for Islam".
CAIRO, Egypt, March 5 (UNHCR) - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres on Monday was wrapping up a three-day visit to Egypt during which he praised Arab states for their traditional generosity toward the displaced, urged them to take a more active role in UNHCR's work and called for international solidarity in easing the plight of Iraqis fleeing conflict in their homeland.
In a landmark opening address on Sunday to the 127th meeting of the League of Arab States' (LAS) Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs in Cairo, Guterres noted that Arab and Islamic …