Appeals & Response Plans
- Yemen: Diphtheria Outbreak - Nov 2017
- Yemen: Cholera Outbreak - Oct 2016
- Yemen: Flash Floods - Apr 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Megh - Nov 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Chapala - Nov 2015
- Yemen: Dengue Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Yemen: Floods - Aug 2013
- Horn of Africa: Polio Outbreak - May 2013
- Yemen: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2012
- Yemen: Floods - Jul 2010
Most read (last 30 days)
- Yemen: More than 3 million women and girls suffering the brunt of the ongoing conflict, warns CARE
- Yemen: Cholera & Diphtheria Response - Emergency Operations Center - Situation Report No.23 - As of 24 February 2018
- Diphtheria vaccination campaign for 2.7 million children concludes in Yemen
- Building Resilience and Protecting Vulnerable Yemenis Through Cash Transfers
- Yemen Humanitarian Update Covering 19 - 25 February 2018 [EN/AR]
LAHEJ, 14th February, 2018 (WAM) -- The Emirates Red Crescent, ERC, has inaugurated a water project to serve 10,000 families in Tuban District of the Lahej Governorate in Yemen.
The ERC said the project includes an extension of a 9km water distribution network, establishment a 26KW solar power plant and a 30,000-gallon reservoir.
A delegation from the ERC office in Aden and Ahmed Al Turki, Governor of Lahej attended the launch ceremony.
Al Turki thanked the UAE for launching humanitarian and developmental projects that serve Yemeni people.
KHAWKHAH, 13th February, 2018 (WAM) -- Supported by the UAE Armed Forces, Emirates Red Crescent, ERC, teams have distributed thousands of school bags and equipment to students in Khawkhah District on the Red Sea Coast of Yemen, as part of the UAE’s humanitarian and rescue programmes for the Yemeni people and its support for the education system, to help students continue their education and improve their results.
SHABWA, 12th February, 2018 (WAM) -- The Emirates Red Crescent, ERC, has signed an agreement to build and construct the building of the secondary school of Al Houta and its suburbs in Mayfa'a District, Shabwa Governorate, to continue its support for the local education sector.
Mohammed Saif Al Muhairi, ERC Representative in Shabwa Governorate, stated that the ERC aims to launch infrastructure projects in the education sector, due to its importance in developing the human mind, raising social cultures and creating a new generation armed with intellect and knowledge.
KUWAIT, March 3 (KUNA) -- Living up to its UN-bestowed status as an International Humanitarian Center, Kuwait scaled up its response to the humanitarian emergencies in Syria and other parts of the world throughout the last week.
On Sunday, February 25, Kuwait Red Crescent Society (KRCS) delivered food aid to residents of Eastern Ghouta, to the east of the Syrian capital city of Damascus, in cooperation with Turkey's Humanitarian Relief Foundation (IHH).
The aid campaign is to continue for 15 days to provide food for some 126,700 Syrians trapped in the war-torn city.
RIYADH, Feb 26 (KUNA) -- Officials from Kuwait and Aden signed an agreement to transport water from Abyan to Aden to permanently address the water supply problem in the Yemeni port city.
The agreement, signed by Kuwait By Your Side Campaign and Public Authority for Water and Local Rule in Aden, aimed at fixing the water pipeline which transports water from Al-Ro'a well, in Abyan governorate, to Aden via the province of Lahj.
The campaign said in a statement the 58-kilometer-long pipeline is designed to transport 13,000-15,000 cubic meters of water every day.
TARIM, 2 March 2018 (WAM) -- The Emirates Red Crescent, ERC, has opened a Therapeutic Feeding Centre, TFC, in Tarim General Hospital in Hadramaut, Yemen, to treat children suffering from malnutrition.
The TFC was funded by the ERC and launched by the World Health Organisation, WHO.
Abdul Al Aziz Al Jaberi, Head of the ERC Team in Hadramaut, stated the opening of the Centre is part of the ERC's efforts to revive the healthcare sector in the governorate, in collaboration with the WHO.
HADRAMAUT, 2 March, 2018 (WAM) -- The Emirates Red Crescent, ERC, has reopened the Rumah Secondary School in the Hadramaut Desert after it had remained closed for more than ten years.
The ERC restored and refitted the school in Rumah District as part of its ongoing efforts to support the education sector in Hadramaut Governorate.
Ahmed Al Neyadi, Deputy Head of the ERC Team in Hadramaut, visited the school with local officials and educators.
The Desert Locust situation continued to remain calm during February
No significant rain fell for the third consecutive month in the winter breeding areas along both sides of the Red Sea during February. Consequently, unusually dry and unfavourable breeding conditions persisted in most areas.
DES MILLIONS DE PERSONNES MENACÉES PAR LA FAMINE
Global Overview FEBRUARY 2018
• The WFP Djibouti Transitional Interim Country Strategic Plan (I-ICSP) for 2018 to 2019 was approved in September 2017, to take effect on 1 January 2018.
• WFP’s ability to maintain assistance to refugees, asylum seekers and the vulnerable local populations in drought-affected and urban areas continues to be undermined by limited funding.
December and January marked a shift in the conflict, which entered a more dynamic phase as infighting between factions on both of the warring sides led to a partial breakthrough in the deadlock that had characterised most of the previous year. Intensive, though short-lived, fighting broke out in the capital, Sana’a city, causing a realignment of the political alliances, and sparking renewed fighting on several fronts,including the launch of a military offensive in southern Al-Hudaydah.
SHABWA, 27th February, 2018 (WAM) -- The Emirates Red Crescent, ERC, continues its humanitarian and relief activities in Yemen, as per the directives of President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
The ERC distributed 3,000 food parcels to the residents of Yashbum in the Shabwa Governorate, as part of the UAE’s efforts to support local residents and help them overcome their tough living conditions.
Key figures Individual and Households assisted by type of item
CRI Kits 385,489 (60,637 households)
Cash Assistance 343,476 (49,068 households)
Shelter Kits 82,390 (11,770 households)
Returnee Kits 7,133 (1,027 households)
ABU DHABI, 24th February, 2018 (WAM) -- H.H.
• In West Africa, regional staple food production for the 2017/18 marketing year is estimated to be above average, increasing for the fourth consecutive year. Locally-produced grain prices were stable at seasonally low levels, but remained above average across much of the region. Below average pastoral conditions and reduced exports to Nigeria continue to influence livestock markets in many areas. Market anomalies remain largely concentrated in the eastern marketing basin (Page 3).