Most read reports
- EU increases its humanitarian assistance – record budget adopted for 2019
- Bachelet appeals for record funds to support UN human rights work in “an era of great turbulence.”
- Flexible funding allowed WFP to reach the world's displaced and forgotten people in 2018
- 30,000 Irregular Migration Deaths, Disappearances Between 2014-2018: IOM Report
- 3 ways to fix the way we fund humanitarian relief
By Arion McNicoll and Stefanie Blendis, CNN
(CNN) -- "Drop to the ground; take cover by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and hold on until the shaking stops."
This is the official advice issued by FEMA for anyone unlucky enough to be caught in an earthquake.
But even following this advice isn't always going to be enough, particularly if you have nothing solid to shelter beneath.
By Hamadoun Toure, Special to CNN
Mobile broadband can help Africa reach Millennium Development Goals, says Hamadoun Touré
He argues that broadband can teach children information technology skills
Mobile technology is transforming healthcare and banking, Touré says
Editor's note: Dr Hamadoun Touré is secretary-general of the International Telecommunication Union -- the U.N.'s specialized agency for information and communication technologies.