Most read reports
- The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2018: Building climate resilience for food security and nutrition [EN/AR/RU]
- Levels & Trends in Child Mortality: Report 2018
- El Nino Outlook – September 2018
- IDMC Mid-Year Figures: Internal Displacement in 2018
- Extreme hunger could kill 600,000 children in war zones this year
By Arion McNicoll and Stefanie Blendis, CNN
(CNN) -- "Drop to the ground; take cover by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and hold on until the shaking stops."
This is the official advice issued by FEMA for anyone unlucky enough to be caught in an earthquake.
But even following this advice isn't always going to be enough, particularly if you have nothing solid to shelter beneath.
By Hamadoun Toure, Special to CNN
Mobile broadband can help Africa reach Millennium Development Goals, says Hamadoun Touré
He argues that broadband can teach children information technology skills
Mobile technology is transforming healthcare and banking, Touré says
Editor's note: Dr Hamadoun Touré is secretary-general of the International Telecommunication Union -- the U.N.'s specialized agency for information and communication technologies.