Most read reports
- Levels & Trends in Child Mortality: Report 2018
- The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2018: Building climate resilience for food security and nutrition [EN/AR/RU]
- IDMC Mid-Year Figures: Internal Displacement in 2018
- Extreme hunger could kill 600,000 children in war zones this year
- Minority and Indigenous Trends 2018: Focus on migration and displacement
"Guiding principles for school based response following disasters" outlines how shools should address the psychosocial effects of major disassters to children, drawing on the experience from the Indian Ocean tsunami.
This handbook provides information for senior
emergency risk managers dealing with critical infrastructure. For this
purpose, it deals with the following issues:
- Establish the context
- Identify risks
- Analyse risk
- Evaluate risks
- Treat risks
- Monitor and review
- Communication and consultation
The purpose of these guidelines is to offer
practitioners with insights, principles and strategies in key facets of
assessment and delivery of psychological services in the disaster context.
They aim to facilitate recovery, ensure ethical practice and to protect
victims and support workers in their respective roles and have been endorsed
by the Australasian Society for Traumatic Stress Studies. The following
sections are developped:
- Basis for the provision of psychological services
- Concepts of the psychological effects in disaters
- Psychological service providers
This booklet outlines some practical steps to
help you be better prepared for an emergency and to let you know what to
do if one occurs. The following sections are developped:
- Preparing for emergencies
- What to do if an emergency occurs
- How to cope emotionally
- First aid tips.
The document is intended for those who have never experienced a major emergency and wish to understand better which impact an emergency can have on them and their family.
These Guidelines for emergency managers working
with culturally and linguistically diverse communities offer practical
guidelines for providing equitable and accessible emergency services.
Based on the principle of "inclusiveness", the Guidelines have been tailored to assist emergency managers and practitioners in creating "safer sustainable communities" by advancing community and agency dialogue.
These Guidelines provide an explanation
of the process of loss assessment, and examines the steps required to carry
out an economic assessment of disaster losses. For this purpose, it looks
at the following issues:
- The framework for disaster loss assessment
- Disaster loss assessment process
- Loss assessment and disaster mitigation
Though focusing on the assessment of losses from hazards that produce inundation, the principles and much of the supporting material would apply to assessments of loss from other hazards.
These guidelines seek to demonstrate how integrated
land use planning can be used to reduce the impact of natural hazards and
avoid risk to life, property and environmental systems from natural hazards.
For this purpose, it considers the following:
- Natural hazards and disasters
- Managing risk
- Strategic planning and the performance-based approach
- Role of land use planning systems
- Integrating risk reduction into land use planning process
This glossary provides a list of emergency management
terms and definitions, likely to be encountered by emergency management
The glossary does not present new or different definitions of terms, but draws together definitions from many existing sources, as well as suggests a set of core terms.
Calling for a comprehensive approach to disaster
management embracing prevention, preparedness, response and recovery, this
manual provides a comprehensive guide on disaster recovery at all levels
for use in planning, training and operations. Its four main sections examine:
- Concepts and principles underpinning the recovery process
- Insight into the likely impact a disaster may have upon the community
- Structures to manage disaster recovery, together with planning and operational guidelines
- Specific services which may be provided