Most read reports
- Global push to stamp out hunger hinges on better data
- United Nations, World Bank, and Humanitarian Organizations Launch Innovative Partnership to End Famine [EN/AR]
- All you need to know in an emergency – in the palm of your hand
- Joint Communiqué by United Nations Secretary-General, African Union Commission Chairperson, European Commission President during Third Trilateral Meeting
- Crop Prospects and Food Situation, No. 3, September 2018
This manual is based on the experience of German Technical Cooperation (GTZ) in a project supporting the establishment of Local Flood Early Warning Systems. The European Commission and the German Government funded the project. The manual describes how to set up and run a Local Flood Early Warning System for inland river floods.
Between 2004 and 2008, almost two in three partner countries of German development cooperation experienced violent conflicts or the immediate aftermath of such conflicts. Crisis prevention and conflict transformation have become crucial for successful development cooperation. At a time when international markets are crumbling and millions of workers are losing their jobs due to the global economic crisis, the fear of an explosive social situation is also growing in many fragile nations and transition countries.
This literature study provides an overview
of the international discussion on the relationship between education and
conflict within the framework of development cooperation as reflected in
current German and English publications and documents. Thus it is also
intended to allow for an initial review of the most important discussion
ideas, the approaches and strategies being pursued, as well as the achievements,
research desiderata and action deficits on the topic complex "education
and conflict management", and the latter's relevance for development
Programmes for the disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration (DDR) of former combatants have become an integral part of peacekeeping operations and post-conflict reconstruction plans. There is hardly any UN peacekeeping mission that is not confronted with aspects of DDR programmes. A number of countries have also implemented demobilisation programmes as part of a national security sector reform or force reduction. DDR programmes constitute a vital link between military and civilian aspects of peace operations.
In the context of the effect of natural disasters
on development progress, this report provides a review of current approaches
and GTZ services in disaster risk management. For this purpose, it includes
the following chapters:
- Disasters: a challenge for developing countries and development cooperation
- Approach and definitions
- From disaster relief to disaster risk management
- GTZ activities in disaster risk management
- GTZ services
It examines the link between the two - crisis prevention, conflict management and peace promotion on the one hand, and how best to strengthen adolescents and young adults as the driving force behind social development on the other.
This paper seeks to conceptually under-pin the
implementation of crisis- and conflict-related measures in the specific
context of technical cooperation. For this purpose, it looks at the following
- Peace-building, crisis prevention and conflict management
- Initial context and approaches to crisis prevention and conflict management
- Implementing crisis- and conflict-related measures
It deals with issues such as economic, institutional and security environment and persons, including child soldiers, female ex-combatants, wife of ex-combatants and their children, that require special attention to implement and support demobilization and reintegration.
The report is aimed at policy-makers of UN agencies, governments and humanitarian agencies.
With the underlying assumption that gender equality
is an essential prerequisite for any sustainable development and peace-building
activity, this paper offers an analytical framework and guidelines on gender
mainstreaming in crisis prevention and conflict management. This is shown
both on a conceptual and practical level.
This document examines the effect of small arms
on development, and highlights the importance of combating the uncontrolled
spread and misuse of these weapons as a central development-policy concern.
For this purpose, the following issues are discussed:
- Problem of small arms in developing countries
- Initiatives for combating the spread and misuse of small arms
- Recommendations for combating the problem of small arms
This paper explores issues relating to humanitarian
assistance and the transformation of conflict. For this purpose, it includes
the following sections:
I: Interactions of international aid and conflict in general, and the transformation of "normal" conflict into violence and warfare.
II: Exploration of the possibilities for international donor actions in areas that are at the heart of conflict escalation - the media, security sector and corruption
Aiming to provide theorists and practitioners
with an overview of the current status of the debate on the subject of
crisis prevention and conflict management, this document explores the following
- Current importance of crisis prevention and conflict management
- Crisis prevention and conflict management in the development-policy debate
- Areas of activity
- Training for crisis prevention and conflict management
This reports examines the infrastructure for
crisis prevention and peaceful conflict management, considering the following
- Crisis prevention as a political challenge
- Early action via crisis analysis, prevention units, and dialogue forums
- Peace constituencies and civil peace service
- Training and Expert Pools
This document examines the rationale, implications
and constraints of a multisectoral response to HIV/AIDS for technical cooperation
programmes, focusing on GTZ-supported agricultural and rural development
projects in Sub-Saharian Africa. For this purpose, it deals with the following
- Personal safety and professional competence of project staff
- Vulnerability of the project target group to HIV infection and AIDS impact
- Linkage between HIV/AIDS and project objectives, strategies and activities