Most read reports
- UNHCR and IOM appeal to European leaders to tackle Mediterranean deaths
- Food costs should cause “shock and outrage” as countries in conflict see spiralling prices
- New regional framework will strengthen UNFPA response to Horn of Africa and Yemen crises
- The State of Food and Agriculture 2018 - Migration, Agriculture and Rural Development
- 2018 Global Hunger Index: Forced Migration and Hunger
Unless Europe urgently steps up its support to tens of thousands of refugees in Greece, harsh winter conditions may claim lives of vulnerable families living in squalid conditions.
"We're facing a preventable human catastrophe. The refugee camp in Lesvos is bursting beyond capacity, and conditions are worsening by the week. As many as 150 people have arrived on a single day," said the Director for the Norwegian Refugee Council's expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, Benedicte Giæver, who visited Greece last week.
In February 2018, the Asia Pacific Regional Cash Working Group (RCWG) held its first meeting in the year to discuss and validate the 2018 workplan – informed through bilateral discussions with regional members and the National CWGs in the region. The workplan1 , is structured around three objectives (see below) with key indicators and activities to guide in the dispensation of the roles and responsibilities of the RCWG.
The demand for cash transfer programming (CTP) expertise has grown significantly over the last decade, outstripping the increasing investments made in capacity building.
In order to improve the sustainable inclusion of CTP in the planning, implementation and analysis of humanitarian responses, capacity needs to be boosted across sectors. Standalone training sessions are not enough in themselves to address gaps at the individual and organisational level, or to overcome obstacles in the humanitarian architecture.