Most read reports
- Levels & Trends in Child Mortality: Report 2018
- A Future Stolen: Young and out of school
- The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2018: Building climate resilience for food security and nutrition [EN/AR/RU]
- IDMC Mid-Year Figures: Internal Displacement in 2018
- Climate change and violent conflict: Sparse evidence from South Asia and South East Asia
Humanitarian crises pose a formidable development challenge. While the nature and incidences of these crises vary significantly, they affect millions of people, particularly the most vulnerable. Some populations are displaced from their communities or countries as a result of crises; others stay where they are, by choice or necessity. Forced displacement is becoming more common with the number of individuals displaced by conflict or violence peaking at 65.3 million in 2015, and an additional 25.4 million people displaced every year due to natural disasters and climate-related events.
This Brief presents guidelines intended to help MFIs provide the appropriate range of emergency and longer term assistance to their clients, while helping both MFIs and donors ensure the ultimate mission of the MFI--to be a sustainable provider of financial services--is not compromised.