Most read reports
- A Future Stolen: Young and out of school
- Levels & Trends in Child Mortality: Report 2018
- Human Rights Council holds a general debate on human rights situations that require the Council's attention (18 September 2018)
- ECOWAS calls for increased coordination to address security and developmental challenges in Sahel region
- The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2018: Building climate resilience for food security and nutrition [EN/AR/RU]
By John Holmes
The 2007 global catalogue of calamities - hurricanes in the Caribbean, droughts in Africa, wildfires in the USA, massive flooding throughout Asia and Africa - reads like a Hollywood disaster script. But these catastrophes were very real for tens of millions of people whose lives were turned upside down.
As we enter a new year, it's tempting to think the worst could be over. But nothing is further from the truth, given the increasingly visible effects of global warming.