Most read reports
- IOM Launches ‘Holding On’ Campaign: A Virtual Reality Experience of Internal Displacement
- World Malaria Report 2018
- Shrinking Natural Resources, Rising Insecurity Leading to Dire Situation in Sahel, Speakers Tell Meeting of Economic and Social Council, Peacebuilding Commission
- Aid experts fear 'Cambridge Analytica moment' over big data
- Pneumonia to kill nearly 11 million children by 2030
By John Holmes
The 2007 global catalogue of calamities - hurricanes in the Caribbean, droughts in Africa, wildfires in the USA, massive flooding throughout Asia and Africa - reads like a Hollywood disaster script. But these catastrophes were very real for tens of millions of people whose lives were turned upside down.
As we enter a new year, it's tempting to think the worst could be over. But nothing is further from the truth, given the increasingly visible effects of global warming.