Most read reports
- UNHCR appeals for urgent action as new Mediterranean mid-winter deaths reported
- Vital protection for refugee and migrant children making perilous sea journeys to Europe urgently needed
- World Economic Forum 2019 Annual Meeting launching a new Humanitarian Investing Initiative
- UNHCR appalled at news of refugee and migrant deaths on Mediterranean Sea
- Why Are so Many Humanitarian Crises Under-reported?
By Daniel Bosley
The Maldives has signed an MOU with the UN, agreeing to actively contribute to peacekeeping operations as observers and infantry.
The agreement, signed in New York by the Maldives ambassador to the UN Ahmed Sareer last week, is the first of its kind to be signed by the country.
“This agreement marks a new era in relations between the Maldives and the UN,” said Sareer upon signing the agreement with UN Under Secretary-General Hervé Ladsous.