Most read reports
- Levels & Trends in Child Mortality: Report 2018
- The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2018: Building climate resilience for food security and nutrition [EN/AR/RU]
- IDMC Mid-Year Figures: Internal Displacement in 2018
- A Future Stolen: Young and out of school
- Extreme hunger could kill 600,000 children in war zones this year
Preventing outbreaks of diseases like typhoid,
dysentery, infectious hepatitis, and other diseases associated with flood
waters should now be the major objective of all relief work. Public education
on community health should form the basis of intervention.
We urge all organizations involved in flood relief operations to ensure that the following precautions are followed by ALL in order to avoid outbreak of epidemics as flood waters recede.
"Disaster psychosocial response: Handbook for community counselor trainers" was developed as a guide to psychosocial interventions in the aftermath of the December 2004 tsunami. The concept of Community Counselors was developed as a potential tool for dealing with the complex task of identifying those displaying the effects of psychological trauma from within the community, taking into account the needs of special groups such as children and the elderly, and providing "psychological