Most read reports
- UNHCR appalled at news of refugee and migrant deaths on Mediterranean Sea
- EU increases its humanitarian assistance – record budget adopted for 2019
- Bachelet appeals for record funds to support UN human rights work in “an era of great turbulence.”
- Aperçu du Financement Humanitaire en 2018 - Appels coordonnés par les Nations Unies
- Flexible funding allowed WFP to reach the world's displaced and forgotten people in 2018
Thousands of migrants fleeing conflicts in the Middle East and North Africa, attempt to cross the Mediterranean to reach Europe, often in unseaworthy vessels, and hundreds have died at sea. An estimated 9 million Syrians have fled their homes since the outbreak of the civil war, in March 2011, taking refuge in neighbouring countries or within Syria itself.