Most read reports
- Shrinking Natural Resources, Rising Insecurity Leading to Dire Situation in Sahel, Speakers Tell Meeting of Economic and Social Council, Peacebuilding Commission
- Pneumonia to kill nearly 11 million children by 2030
- IOM Releases Redesigned, Now Customizable Mobile App ‘MigApp’ in 4 New Languages
- Four years into its #IBelong Campaign to end statelessness, UNHCR calls for more resolute action by states
- The potential human cost of cyber operations: Starting the conversation
Thousands of migrants fleeing conflicts in the Middle East and North Africa, attempt to cross the Mediterranean to reach Europe, often in unseaworthy vessels, and hundreds have died at sea. An estimated 9 million Syrians have fled their homes since the outbreak of the civil war, in March 2011, taking refuge in neighbouring countries or within Syria itself.