Most read reports
- Humanitarian and Country Icons 2018
- GMDAC: Over 6,600 Migration Deaths Recorded in Africa Since 2013 ‘Just the Tip of the Iceberg’
- Public health guidance on screening and vaccination for infectious diseases in newly arrived migrants within the EU/EEA
- The Global Compact on Refugees is a positive step toward a better refugee response
- World Humanitarian Data and Trends 2018
Italy has now overtaken Greece as the main point of entry for migrants trying to reach Europe, UNHCR figures show
By Gabriela Baczynska
BRUSSELS, Oct 12 (Reuters) - Migrants arriving by sea to Italy are now the main problem faced by the European Union in its efforts to stem mass immigration to the bloc, the head of the EU border agency said on Wednesday.
Italy has now overtaken Greece as the main point of entry for migrants trying to reach Europe, figures from the U.N. refugee agency (UNHCR) show.
Source: Sat, 16 May 2015 04:30 GMT
By Daniel Flynn
DAKAR, May 15 (Reuters) - At least as many migrants may be dying of hunger and thirst in the Sahara as are drowning in the Mediterranean during this year's huge surge of human trafficking from Libya to Europe, the International Organization for Migration said on Friday.
Read more on AlertNet.
Africa launches its first sovereign risk insurance pool
Fund targets drought-prone countries first
Climate change seen major risk to Africa
By Wendell Roelf
CAPE TOWN, May 15 (Reuters) - In the 1980s images of skeletal Ethiopian babies and their parents, dying from hunger during a devastating famine, helped galvanize global humanitarian and financial aid to drought-ravaged African countries.
Read the full report on AlertNet.