Most read reports
- Pneumonia to kill nearly 11 million children by 2030
- Four years into its #IBelong Campaign to end statelessness, UNHCR calls for more resolute action by states
- IOM Releases Redesigned, Now Customizable Mobile App ‘MigApp’ in 4 New Languages
- Shrinking Natural Resources, Rising Insecurity Leading to Dire Situation in Sahel, Speakers Tell Meeting of Economic and Social Council, Peacebuilding Commission
- Peacebuilding Commission Urges Member States to Keep Sahel High on Agenda, Foster Stability, Ensure Sustainable Peace
PHNOM PENH, Mar 5, 2007 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- The Cambodia Mine Action Authority and the Embassy of Canada announced that they are to co- host an international mine action conference in Phnom Penh from March 12 to 14, a press release said here on Monday.
The dire consequences that landmines have on a country's economic and social development will be a significant topic of discussion during the conference, which entitled "Mine Action: Implications for Peace and Development", the press release said.
Delegates from across Southeast Asia, as well as participants from …
GENEVA, Dec 14, 2006 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- Individuals and governments donated a record 17 billion U.S. dollars to help disaster victims in 2005, but the distribution of those funds was quite inequitable, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said on Thursday.
In 2005, the international community responded more generously to people's humanitarian assistance than any time in recent history, IFRC said in its annual World Disasters Report.
BEIJING, Nov 22, 2006 (Xinhua via COMTEX) --Member countries of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) passed an action plan on cooperation in disaster relief here on November 22, after a two-day discussion.
The plan, which was passed at a ministerial meeting on emergency disaster relief, sets a more specific timetable and details on cooperation between SCO member states from 2006 to 2007.
Ministers and officials from SCO member nations China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan attended the two-day meeting.
They also had observed an exercise …