Maps & Infographics
Headlines (most recent)
- Action Against Hunger: Humanitarian leaders call for a transformation in acute malnutrition treatment. 16 Oct 2019
- UNICEF: La malnutrición impide el adecuado crecimiento de 1 de cada 5 niños y niñas menores de 5 años en América Latina y el Caribe. 15 Oct 2019
- Concern: Climate change affecting global food system - new report. 15 Oct 2019
- UNHCR: More than 85 governments, civil society and international groups vow to tackle statelessness. 11 Oct 2019
- Global Fund: Global Fund donors pledge US$14 billion in fight to end epidemics. 10 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- IDRC: Making Agri-Food Systems Work for the Rural Poor in Eastern & Southern Africa. 20 Oct 2019
- Concern: 2019 Global Hunger Index: The challenge of hunger and climate change. 15 Oct 2019
- IEP: Global Peace Index 2019. 12 Jun 2019
- UN SG: Secretary-General Deplores Reversals in Disarmament Efforts, as General Assembly Commemorates International Day for Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons. 27 Sep 2019
- OCHA: Humanitarian and Country Icons 2018. 17 Dec 2018
I am honoured to address this first session of the Council's second decade.
After two years as High Commissioner, I believe it is important for me to share with you in this oral update our concern over an emerging pattern: the growing refusal on the part of an increasing number of Member States to grant OHCHR, or the human rights mechanisms, access – either to countries generally, or to specific regions, when that access is requested explicitly, or in other instances to engage with us.
THE UN VOLUNTARY FUND FOR VICTIMS OF TORTURE
Individuals – women, men and children – are at the heart of the work of this unique United Nations Trust Fund. It was established by the General Assembly in 1981 when the world was faced with the plight of thousands of victims of torture from Chile and Argentina, and today provides direct assistance to over 50,000 victims of torture and their families in all regions of the world yearly. This can be in the form of psychological, medical, legal, social or financial aid.
Mr. President, Distinguished Members of the Human Rights Council, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen,