Most read reports
- Global push to stamp out hunger hinges on better data
- United Nations, World Bank, and Humanitarian Organizations Launch Innovative Partnership to End Famine [EN/AR]
- All you need to know in an emergency – in the palm of your hand
- Crop Prospects and Food Situation, No. 3, September 2018
- Joint Communiqué by United Nations Secretary-General, African Union Commission Chairperson, European Commission President during Third Trilateral Meeting
The earthquake that occurred off the Sanriku coast of northern Japan on 11 March 2011 caused one of the most destructive tsunamis ever recorded. Aside from the devastating loss of human life and damage to physical infrastructure, 470,000 survivors were evacuated to shelters and as of December 2013, about 117,000 remain displaced in temporary accommodation.