Most read reports
- UNHCR appalled at news of refugee and migrant deaths on Mediterranean Sea
- Bachelet appeals for record funds to support UN human rights work in “an era of great turbulence.”
- EU increases its humanitarian assistance – record budget adopted for 2019
- Aperçu du Financement Humanitaire en 2018 - Appels coordonnés par les Nations Unies
- Flexible funding allowed WFP to reach the world's displaced and forgotten people in 2018
Sixty-sixth General Assembly
89th Meeting (AM)
Also Adopts New Protocol to Child Rights Convention; Wide Range of Resolutions On Social, Humanitarian Issues; Texts on Iran, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
The General Assembly today adopted 63 resolutions and 9 decisions recommended by its Third Committee (Social, Humanitarian and Cultural), including a text that strongly condemned “continued grave and systematic” human rights violations in Syria and called for an immediate end to all violence in that country.
Anti-regime protests continued across Syria despite increased crackdowns on the major flashpoint cities. Security forces, including tanks, snipers and navy gunboats were mobilised against protests in Latakia, Daraa, Damascus, Homs, Deir el-Zour and elsewhere. Over two thousand deaths have been reported since the unrest erupted in mid-March.