Most read reports
- Rotary announces US $96.5 million to end polio
- United Nations Emergency Response Fund (CERF) Annual Report 2017
- Aid worker deaths: the numbers tell the story
- Los niños y niñas retornados a Centroamérica y México corren un mayor riesgo de sufrir violencias, estigma y privaciones
- Children and Women with Disabilities, More Likely to Face Discrimination
Sixty-sixth General Assembly
89th Meeting (AM)
Also Adopts New Protocol to Child Rights Convention; Wide Range of Resolutions On Social, Humanitarian Issues; Texts on Iran, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
The General Assembly today adopted 63 resolutions and 9 decisions recommended by its Third Committee (Social, Humanitarian and Cultural), including a text that strongly condemned “continued grave and systematic” human rights violations in Syria and called for an immediate end to all violence in that country.
Anti-regime protests continued across Syria despite increased crackdowns on the major flashpoint cities. Security forces, including tanks, snipers and navy gunboats were mobilised against protests in Latakia, Daraa, Damascus, Homs, Deir el-Zour and elsewhere. Over two thousand deaths have been reported since the unrest erupted in mid-March.