Most read (last 30 days)
- At least 71 United Nations, Associated Personnel Killed in Malicious Attacks against Peacekeeping Operations during 2017
- Suffering in Silence: The 10 most under-reported humanitarian crises of 2017
- The War on Children: Time to End Violations Against Children in Armed Conflict
- Hunger in conflict zones continues to intensify
- UNICEF Humanitarian Action for Children 2018 - Overview [EN/AR]
Compendium on Good and Innovative Practices in the Regional Response to the Syria and Iraq Crisis: Volume II launched by UNHCR-UNDP Joint Secretariat
Jan 11, 2018 | News, Press Release
DAMASCUS – This year, the European Commission Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) contributed US$22.8 million for the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) to provide life-saving food assistance for families across Syria.
In 2017, Humanitarian Response Plans (HRPs) in the MENA region requested US$7.4 billion. The total amount received to date is $4.6 billion (62%), which leaves a shortfall of $2.8 billion (38%).
The Syria Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP) requested US$5.58 billion. The total amount received to date is $2.96 billion (53%), which leaves a shortfall of $2.62 billion (47%).
As of 18 December 2017, the UNICEF 2017/18 winter response in Syria and Syrian refugee host countries reached over 630,000 children but remains 58% underfunded (out of US$72 million appeal) and 880,000 children remain in dire need for support.
In 2017, Spain has seen a new surge in arrivals of refugees and other migrants to its shores. As of 31 October, the country recorded 21,304 irregular entries, twice as many as the same period in 2016. With this increase, the profile of arrivals has changed, as increasingly people from the Middle East – the majority of whom are Syrians – travel to Spain.
ABU DHABI, 11th November, 2017 (WAM) -- The UAE is attaching great importance to alleviating the burden and improving the living conditions of the Syrian refugees all over the world, said H.H. Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler's Representative in Al Dhafra and Chairman of the Emirates Red Crescent, ERC.
Bonn – The German Federal Government and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) today concluded a meeting of policymakers and experts on creating jobs and economic opportunities for refugees and communities hosting them in neighboring countries.
In 2017, Humanitarian Response Plans (HRPs) in the MENA region requested US$7.4 billion. The total amount received to date is $3.6 billion (49%), which leaves a shortfall of $3.8 billion (51%).
The Syria Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP) requested US$5.58 billion. The total amount received to date is $2.59 billion (46%), which leaves a shortfall of $2.99 billion (54%).
Odai still dreams of making professional league despite problems
In this age group, you can anticipate that children can focus for around an hour on any given topic in this age range. Reading and writing is often involved but the tasks focus mostly on interaction between peers and with the teachers.
Teaching materials are focused on opportunities for students and teachers to co-create a peaceful classroom environment where children are able to celebrate their differences.
3RP AT A GLANCE
Executive Committee of the High Commissioner’s Programme
Overview on UNHCR’s operations in the Middle East and North Africa
A. Situational context including new developments
In 2017, Humanitarian Response Plans (HRPs) in the MENA region requested US$7.4 billion. The total amount received to date is $2.9 billion (39%), which leaves a shortfall of $4.5 billion (61%).
The Syria Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP) requested US$5.58 billion. The total amount received to date is $2.17 billion (39%), which leaves a shortfall of $3.40 billion (61%).
More people have died delivering aid in Syria than anywhere else in 2017, an analysis by international aid organisation CARE Australia has found.
New figures reveal 80 aid workers have been killed this year, including 29 in Syria where there has been intense fighting since 2011.
“Syria is the most dangerous place on earth to be an aid worker,” said CARE Australia’s Gender in Emergencies Specialist Isadora Quay.
Syria is home to four million of the world’s 1.8 billion young people. Syria’s youth population is on the rise and is estimated to surpass four million soon.
The masses of young people represent a huge opportunity for our country. Yet, in countries like Syria, where a crisis has been going on for years and has substantially destroyed infrastructure, young people face tremendous challenges. Crisis has left behind a cracked education system, hunger and displacement, mountains of lost opportunities, and the list goes on.
But $1.5 billion of pledges have still to come in - and more than 500,000 refugee children in Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan are not yet getting an education.
International donors have delivered almost three-quarters of the money pledged for 2017 to help millions of Syrians forced out of their homes by the ongoing conflict - including getting children into school.
Education Development Trust
8th June 2017
In December 2015, Altai Consulting was commissioned by Save the Children’s Middle East and Eurasia Regional Office to conduct a research study on the protection of children fleeing from the Syria conflict and traveling to Europe. Fieldwork was conducted over January and February 2016 and culminated in a total of 198 interviews across 19 locations in eight countries: Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, Turkey, Greece, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Serbia, and Croatia.
The Migration Country Profiles project aspires to contribute to a better understanding of migratory trends across Africa and the Middle East towards Europe. The project focuses specifically on the 2016 top-ten countries of origin of migrants and six key countries of transit that migrants are likely to take before embarking on the Mediterranean or Aegean sea journeys.
The profiles take particular consideration the push factors of migration, including human rights, conflict, and development contexts of each country of origin and transit.