Most read reports
- A Future Stolen: Young and out of school
- Levels & Trends in Child Mortality: Report 2018
- Human Rights Council holds a general debate on human rights situations that require the Council's attention (18 September 2018)
- ECOWAS calls for increased coordination to address security and developmental challenges in Sahel region
- The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2018: Building climate resilience for food security and nutrition [EN/AR/RU]
Djibouti – The Ministry of Health of Djibouti in collaboration with IOM, the UN Migration Agency’s office in Djibouti have launched a mobile patrol programme on 12 December 2017 to assist migrants in all five regions of the country.
Djibouti - On Sunday (21/2) IOM Djibouti welcomed a delegation of European, North American and Asian diplomats and representatives of humanitarian aid agencies. Their mission was to learn about one of the world’s most treacherous migration routes and the growing migrant crisis that is killing hundreds of migrants each year as they attempt to reach the Arabian Peninsula from the Horn of Africa.
The events of 2015 in which hundreds of thousands of refugees and migrants sought help in Europe show that walls and border security don’t prevent people from migrating, they just increase their suffering.
According to the United Nations Refugee Agency 59.5 million people were forced to emigrate from their places of origin due to armed conflicts, persecution, widespread violence and human rights violations by the end of 2014.
GENEVA, December 26 (UNHCR) - Regional Liaison Representative Ilunga Ngandu leaves UNHCR at the end of this month after 33 years of distinguished service. Starting as a junior protection officer in the mid-1970s, he ended up as the agency's key interlocutor with the Addis Ababa-based African Union. Ngandu will be returning to his native Democratic Republic of the Congo, where he expects to continue helping others. He spoke to UNHCR Web Editor Leo Dobbs. Excerpts of the interview:
How has UNHCR changed since you started?
It has changed tremendously.