Most read reports
- Food costs should cause “shock and outrage” as countries in conflict see spiralling prices
- UNHCR and IOM appeal to European leaders to tackle Mediterranean deaths
- Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Mark Lowcock Remarks at Concern Worldwide 50th anniversary event: Conflict and Hunger How can we reach those furthest behind?
- The State of Food and Agriculture 2018 - Migration, Agriculture and Rural Development
- Sexual Violence in conflict, recognizing two heroes who combat it
Current major event
Early Warning System for Disease outbreaks established in Syria
The Ministry of Health in Syria has, recently, established an early warning system for disease outbreaks with support from the WHO Country Office in Syria. A weekly surveillance bulletin is also being produced as part of this early warning system.
An overwhelming majority of Iraqi refugees 91.6% of refugees and asylum-seekers registered with UNHCR in Syria are from Iraq. The Government of Syria, which has continuously implemented a generous policy towards the stay of Iraqi refugees, estimates that the country hosts about one million Iraqis. 64.6% come from the region of Baghdad alone and 62.4% sought refuge in Syria five or more years ago. 35% of the 27,681 families registered are female-headed households.