Most read reports
- UNHCR and IOM appeal to European leaders to tackle Mediterranean deaths
- The State of Humanitarian Journalism (October 2018)
- Food costs should cause “shock and outrage” as countries in conflict see spiralling prices
- New regional framework will strengthen UNFPA response to Horn of Africa and Yemen crises
- The State of Food and Agriculture 2018 - Migration, Agriculture and Rural Development
Executive Committee of the High Commissioner’s Programme
1-5 October 2018
A. Situational context including new developments
In 2017, Spain has seen a new surge in arrivals of refugees and other migrants to its shores. As of 31 October, the country recorded 21,304 irregular entries, twice as many as the same period in 2016. With this increase, the profile of arrivals has changed, as increasingly people from the Middle East – the majority of whom are Syrians – travel to Spain.
IN 2016, HUMANITARIAN RESPONSE PLANS (HRPs) in the MENA region requested US$7 billion and have received $2.6 billion. In total, MENA HRPs are 38 per cent funded. Three new FLASH APPEALS address specific situations: in Iraq where the humanitarian impact of the Mosul operation requires $284 million; in Afghanistan where $152 million is needed to assist returnees from Pakistan; and in Libya where $10 million is needed for Sirt.