Most read reports
- Levels & Trends in Child Mortality: Report 2018
- The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2018: Building climate resilience for food security and nutrition [EN/AR/RU]
- IDMC Mid-Year Figures: Internal Displacement in 2018
- Extreme hunger could kill 600,000 children in war zones this year
- Minority and Indigenous Trends 2018: Focus on migration and displacement
An Australian journalist given access to Nauru says there is strong opposition to an offer from the United States to accept refugees from the island.
Read more on Radio New Zealand International
US officials have arrived in Australia to begin assessing Canberra's refugees who Australia wants to shift to the US.
Read more on New Zealand Radio International
The Government of Nauru has welcomed news that refugees on the island will be resettled in the United States and has commended the Australian Government for its handling of the process.
Minister for Justice David Adeang said while the Government has consistently sought to correct false reports about conditions and safety of the refugees, it has also always stated the need to find suitable third countries for permanent resettlement.
The head of Save the Children Australia says the end of its tenure on Nauru means there is no longer an agency to speak up for the rights of children in detention there.
The charity winds up its operations at the Australia-run asylum seeker detention centre on Saturday, after the Australian government granted the welfare contract to the multinational, Transfield Services.
Read the full article