Most read reports
- Crop Prospects and Food Situation, No. 3, September 2018
- A Future Stolen: Young and out of school
- The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2018: Building climate resilience for food security and nutrition [EN/AR/RU]
- ECOWAS calls for increased coordination to address security and developmental challenges in Sahel region
- Levels & Trends in Child Mortality: Report 2018
Despite having only a very small number of unauthorized entries, Latvia has described the situation at its borders with Russia and Belarus as “alarming.” Its law provides for an extended period of detention without court order, allows for the detention of children over the age of 14, and lacks provisions ensuring that the detention of asylum seekers is used only as a last resort.
RIGA, Latvia, Jan 14 (UNHCR) – It once hosted parties for the Baltic and Russian aristocracy. Now the Kanepes cultural centre, an elegant building in central Riga, echoes with the sound of excited children baking traditional ginger biscuits and making gingerbread houses.
The centre takes pride in using ideas and art to challenge people's preconceptions and make them think for themselves. This time, children and ginger biscuits are raising some tricky issues for many Latvians.