Maps & Infographics
Headlines (most recent)
- UNCCD: Delhi Declaration: Countries agree to make ‘land degradation neutrality’ by 2030, a national target for action. 15 Sep 2019
- UNESCO: Without urgent action, 12 million children will never spend a day at school - UNESCO. 13 Sep 2019
- IOM: UNHCR, UNICEF, IOM urge European states to boost education for refugee and migrant children. 10 Sep 2019
- IOM: More than 7,400 deaths on migration routes across Africa in past five years. 10 Sep 2019
- UN HRC: Scourge of slavery increases amid new range of global issues, says UN expert. 9 Sep 2019
Most read reports
- UNCCD: The New Delhi Declaration: Investing in Land and Unlocking Opportunities. 15 Sep 2019
- IEP: Global Peace Index 2019. 12 Jun 2019
- OCHA: Humanitarian and Country Icons 2018. 17 Dec 2018
- UNCCD: Briefing Note: Land degradation, poverty, and inequality. 15 Sep 2019
- IOM: Over 7,400 Deaths on Migration Routes Across Africa in Last Five Years, IOM Figures Show. 10 Sep 2019
The disaster descriptions on the following pages cover the period of the USG's fiscal year, October 1, 1999 through September 30, 2000. During FY 2000, USAID/OFDA responded to 66 new "declared" disasters. Many of the disasters in FY 2000 required a mix of USG financial and staff resources.
This document is a technical document on the
Rapid Assessment of Mental Health Needs of Refugees, Displaced and Other
Populations Affected by Conflict and Post-Conflict Situations and Available
Resources (RAMH). The document includes the following chapters:
- RAMH terms of reference
- Preparedness: data collection team and care of the RAMH team itself
- Tool: rapid assessment of mental health needs and available resources
These guidelines contain basic information on
the biology and behaviour of the Desert Locust. The document is divided
into the following sections:
- What are locusts?
- Locust phases
- The life cycle
- Migration and seasonal distributions
- Recessions, outbreaks, upsurges and plagues
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs).
These guidelines are intended mainly for use by field staff involved in locust survey and control operations, including pilots of survey and spray aircraft.
This paper explores the potential for developing improved measures of the access component of household food security. Relevant conceptual and measurement issues are discussed, followed by a review of the U.S. approach and examples of efforts in developing countries. The potential portability and challenges of applying the U.S. approach to developing countries are also discussed.
This selective bibliography lists papers, articles
and books under different thematic headings with an emphasis on publications,
which can be retrieved from medical or other libraries. It addresses the
- Human rights
- Death penalty
- Disappearances, refugees, psychiatry
- Torture and trauma
This manual is intended to serve as an international
guideline for the assessment of persons who allege torture and ill-treatment
, for investigating cases of alleged torture, and for reporting findings
to the judiciary or any other investigative body. It includes annexes with
principles for the investigation and documentation of torture and other
cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, diagnostic tests,
anatomical drawings for the documentation of torture and ill-treatment,
and guidelines for the medical evaluation of torture and ill-treatment.
This handbook provides a comprehensive source
of information on the design and management of HIV/AIDS prevention and
care programs in resource constrained settings. The document's chapters
are grouped into seven sections:
- Design and Management of HIV/AIDS programs
- Reducing risks and vulneralbility to HIV infection
- Strengthening STD management and services
- Reducing risk of HIV infection to infants
- Reducing risk of parenteral transmission
- Management and support of people infected and affected by HIV/AIDS
- Prospects for the future
This report examines the issue of counteracting
the developmental impact of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. For this purpose, it
provides chapters on the following main issues:
- A devastating and multifaceted impact
- Priorities for action: Mitigating the impact of AIDS
- National leadership and international support
The paper aims to show that AIDS is a development crisis, and that the most effective response is sustained, equitable development.
This handbook has been developed to assist United
Nations colleagues understand and appreciate the human rights system within
the context of the United Nations Organization.
In particular, it seeks to assist new UN colleagues, and those working outside the human rights secretariat, in understanding the concept of human rights, the obligations of the Organization to promote and protect human rights, and how the UN discharges this obligation.
It handbook is divided into five parts, providing an overview of the following areas:
Aiming to provide early and effective action
with respect to the emergency reproductive health needs of refugees, the
internally displaced and others affected by crises, this report discusses
various issues relating to the reproductive health of these populations.
- Early action in extreme situations
- Safe motherhood and family planning
- Adolescent reproductive health
- Addressing sexual violence
- HIV/AIDS and STI prevention
- How UNFPA takes action
- Partnerships and funding
This annual report provides a guide to all aspects of the problem of small arms and light weapons, focusing on both small arms themselves (production, transfers, stockpiles), and on the processes and impacts of their world-wide proliferation.
In addition, specific sections deal with issues such as arms brokering, the role of small arms and light weapons in particular conflict zones, current international initiatives and projects to stem their proliferation, and with broader social and economic effects (crime, public health, development).
With children under the age of 18 serving in
armed forces and armed groups around the world being more vulnerable to
serious physical and psychological violence, this report offers an initial
attempt to address the need to document and analyse the link between child
soldiers and sexual exploitation.
For this purpose, the report examines global dimensions and trends in the sexual exploitation of child soldiers, revealing some of its basic patterns and suggesting root causes.
This report provides a comprehensive review of what is known about the current and future burden of mental disorders and the principal contributing factors.
It examines the scope of prevention and the availability of, and obstacles to, treatment.
This report describes the experience by a group
of twelve aid agencies piloting the new People In Aid Code of Best Practice
in the Management and Support of Aid Personnel from 1997 to 2000.
The report describes challenges faced in, for example, seeking to "embed" the Code in the organisation's thinking and practice, in extending its use, particularly to host country staff; in using the Code effectively within agency "federations"; etc. ritish Red Cross
Seeking to enhance the effectiveness of sanctions
while avoiding excessive suffering to civilian populations or the infliction
of economic damage on third states, this manual provides guidelines for
the creation and implementation of targeted financial sanctions. It offers
two main parts:
- Designing UN Security Council resolutions on targeted financial sanctions
- Implementing targeted financial sanctions at the national level
This handbook provides basic strategic assistance
to guide field personnel in promoting the sustainable recovery of war-affected
communities during transitions, including the reintegration of displaced
The handbook was produced by the Executive Committee for Peace and Security, the Executive Committee for Humanitarian Affairs, and the UN Development Group, in order to improve the ability to constructively respond to reintegration efforts in conflict and post-conflict environments.