Most read reports
- Vital protection for refugee and migrant children making perilous sea journeys to Europe urgently needed
- UNHCR appeals for urgent action as new Mediterranean mid-winter deaths reported
- World Economic Forum 2019 Annual Meeting launching a new Humanitarian Investing Initiative
- Spain contributes 4.1 million euros to assistance to vulnerable populations through the United Nations World Food Programme
- UNHCR appalled at news of refugee and migrant deaths on Mediterranean Sea
Introduction à l’édition provisoire du Manuel
Dans plus de 50 pays du monde entier, quelque 24 millions de personnes sont déracinées et déplacées dans leur propre pays suite à un conflit ou à des violations des droits de l’homme.
Globally, the number of natural disasters, the number of people affected and the impact of disasters are increasing. More than 250 million people have been directly affected by disasters every year since 2000; the highest figures ever recorded, according to the Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters (CRED). Developing countries in Africa and Asia are particularly vulnerable to extreme atmospheric factors and climate-induced shocks.
Incentives and sanctions are used by external actors to try to stop armed conflicts in the short term. But are they effective in promoting peace? This research by Conciliation Resources argues that these instruments are often not used as part of a broader strategy aimed at resolving conflict. They are often a confused mix of coercion and assistance, which neither force nor encourage the conflict parties towards a negotiated settlement.
Food Security Information for Action
Note: Map production date estimated
Note: Map production date estimated.