Most read reports
- EU increases its humanitarian assistance – record budget adopted for 2019
- Bachelet appeals for record funds to support UN human rights work in “an era of great turbulence.”
- Flexible funding allowed WFP to reach the world's displaced and forgotten people in 2018
- 30,000 Irregular Migration Deaths, Disappearances Between 2014-2018: IOM Report
- Guinea Worm Wanes to 28 Cases Globally; Ethiopia, Mali Report Zero Human Cases
Globally, the number of natural disasters, the number of people affected and the impact of disasters are increasing. More than 250 million people have been directly affected by disasters every year since 2000; the highest figures ever recorded, according to the Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters (CRED). Developing countries in Africa and Asia are particularly vulnerable to extreme atmospheric factors and climate-induced shocks.
Incentives and sanctions are used by external actors to try to stop armed conflicts in the short term. But are they effective in promoting peace? This research by Conciliation Resources argues that these instruments are often not used as part of a broader strategy aimed at resolving conflict. They are often a confused mix of coercion and assistance, which neither force nor encourage the conflict parties towards a negotiated settlement.
Food Security Information for Action
Note: Map production date estimated.
Note: Map production date estimated