Most read reports
- The State of Food and Agriculture 2018 - Migration, Agriculture and Rural Development
- 2018 Global Hunger Index: Forced Migration and Hunger
- Working Together to End Child Marriage: How governments can end child marriage by accelerating coordinated action across education, health, protection and other sectors
- Devastating Impacts of Climate Change Threatening Farm Outputs, Increasing Global Hunger, Delegates Say as Second Committee Takes Up Agriculture, Food Security
- Las políticas sobre migración no deben limitarla, sino maximizar su potencial y minimizar sus aspectos negativos
The State Parties to this Protocol desire
to undertake an international commitment to abolish the death penalty,
as they believe that the abolition of the death penalty contributes to
enhancement of human dignity and progressive development of human rights.
The Protocol is open for signature by any State that has signed the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
There can be little doubt that disaster preparedness saves lives. Before noon on Dec. 7. 1988, an earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale struck Soviet Armenia, killing at least 25,000 people according to official Soviet estimates. Less than one year later, an earthquake of similar magnitude jolted San Francisco, California, shortly before rush hour. However. this earthquake claimed fewer than 70 lives. In Armenia, most of the victims died when their multi-story apartment buildings crumbled and collapsed on them.
The Convention on the Rights of the Child
is one of seven core international human rights treaties. Each of
these treaties has established a committee of experts to monitor implementation
of the treaty provisions by its States parties.
This Convention is supplemented by two Optional Protocols on the involvement of children in armed conflict, and the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography.