Most read reports
- Food costs should cause “shock and outrage” as countries in conflict see spiralling prices
- The State of Food and Agriculture 2018 - Migration, Agriculture and Rural Development
- UNHCR and IOM appeal to European leaders to tackle Mediterranean deaths
- Las políticas sobre migración no deben limitarla, sino maximizar su potencial y minimizar sus aspectos negativos
- 2018 Global Hunger Index: Forced Migration and Hunger
OFDA's mission is to provide humanitarian assistance to victims of disasters around the world. The office responds to all types of natural disasters, including earthquakes, volcanic erupt ions, cyclonic storms, floods, and droughts. It also provides technical assistance in the wake of accidental or man-made catastrophes, such as oil or toxic waste spills, power shortages, fires, explosions, and air crashes. When large numbers of civilians are affected by civil strife and temporarily forced to abandon their homes and livelihoods, OFDA provides immediate assistance.
The Convention against Torture and Other
Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CAT) is one of seven
core international human rights treaties. Each of these treaties has established
a committee of experts to monitor implementation of the treaty provisions
by its States parties.
CAT is supplemented by an Optional Protocol dealing with specific concerns.