- OHCHR Report on the human rights situation in Ukraine (15 August to 15 November 2017)
- UNICEF Ukraine Humanitarian Situation Report #64, October 2017
- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin: Ukraine | Issue 22 | 1 September – 31 October 2017
Appeals & Funding
- 2018 Humanitarian Needs Overview [EN/UK]
- 2018 Humanitarian Response Plan
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017: Ukraine
- IOM Ukraine 2017 Crisis Response Plan
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Europe/Northern Africa: Cold Wave - Jan 2012
- Central Europe: Floods - May 2010
- Europe: Cold Wave - Dec 2009
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- Central and Eastern Europe: Floods - Jul 2008
- Ukraine: Storm - Jul 2007
- Ukraine: Floods - Jul 2006
- Belarus/Russian Fed./Ukraine and Moldova: Severe Weather - Feb 2006
- Ukraine: Floods - Mar 2001
- Hungary: Floods - Mar 2001
Most read (last 30 days)
- Ukraine: 2018 Humanitarian Response Plan (January-December 2018)
- Report on the human rights situation in Ukraine (15 August to 15 November 2017) [EN/UK/RU]
- Frozen and forgotten: The neglected displacement crisis on Europe’s doorstep
- IOM Survey Reveals Growing Humanitarian Needs in Ukraine’s Eastern Conflict Area
- Ukraine Humanitarian Needs Overview 2018 [EN/UK]
This Report constitutes the response of the International Task Force for Assessing the Baia Mare Accident (the Baia Mare Task Force or 'BMTF') to the tasks given to us by Commissioner Margot Wallström, with the support of the Environment Ministers of Hungary and Romania, concerning the accidents which occurred at Baia Mare and Baia Borsa in Romania, in January and March 2000. These tasks were to consider:
Ref: OCHA/GVA - 2000/0226
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Ukraine – Cold wave
14 December 2000
1. Further to a cold wave, which hit the territory of Ukraine at the beginning of December 2000, the Minister of Ukraine for Emergencies, Mr. Dourdynets, has requested OCHA’s support in disseminating the list of priority requirements set by National Authorities to restore power supply in the affected region.
2. Prior to the cold wave, a severe ice storm had already ravaged the northwestern part of Ukraine on 27 November 2000.
SPILL OF LIQUID AND SUSPENDED WASTE AT THE AURUL S.A. RETREATMENT PLANT IN BAIA MARE
United Nations Environment Programme, UNEP /
Kiev (dpa) - The concentration of lead in the waters of the Tisza river flowing from Romania into western Ukraine have again risen above levels considered safe, Intefax news agency reported Monday.
Samples from the river taken over the weekend showed lead levels to be roughly four times higher than officially permitted. Some discoloration had also been noted.
Ukrainian officials said that the problem had resulted from a dam reservoir overflow at the Baya Borsa mine in Romania which had spilled dangerous chemicals into the river.
OCHA/GVA - 2000/0054
Mining waste spill from the Baia Borsa processing complex in Romania
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Hungarian government spokesman Gabor Borokai said on 14 March that Budapest has asked Romania to identify plants that may pose a threat to the environment and "not delay" in closing them down. Foreign Minister Janos Martonyi told the cabinet he personally delivered the message to Romania's ambassador in Budapest. The Hungarian Environment Ministry has noted that the authorities managed to protect the Tisza Lake from a spill of heavy metals into the Tisza River (see "RFE/RL Newsline," 13 March 2000).
A fact-finding tour to the AURUL S.A. gold mining enterprise in Baia Mare, Romania, and along the Lapus-Somes-Tisza river system in Romania and Hungary
Since last year, 120 men, 115 of them from the region and 5 Australians, can be seen working in Baia Mare at the AURUL gold mine wearing dark green suits with a golden Kangaroo on the front. This is the logo of the AURUL company whose name went around the world after one of the biggest river disasters in Europe, in February 2000.
For use of the media only; not an official document.
1. The causes of the accidental pollution
The accidental pollution with cyanides has been produced because of a break in the dam of the sedimentation pond Aurul of the plant S.C.AURUL S.A. Baia Mare.