Appeals & Response Plans
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Tanzania: Earthquake - Sept 2016
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- Uganda: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Uganda: Measles Outbreak - Aug 2013
- Uganda: Cholera Outbreak - May 2013
- Uganda: Floods - May 2013
- Uganda: Marburg Fever Outbreak - Oct 2012
- Uganda: Ebola Outbreak - Jul 2012
- Uganda: Landslides - Jun 2012
Maps & Infographics
Most read (last 30 days)
- Armed Conflict, Sexual Violence, Force More Than 14,000 People to Flee the Democratic Republic of Congo, CARE reports
- Grandi praises Uganda’s ‘model’ treatment of refugees, urges regional leaders to make peace
- Refugee influx into Uganda worrying, warns CARE International
- Congolese refugees perish as growing numbers seek safety in Uganda
- Government of Uganda confirms outbreak of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic and Rift Valley fevers
The United Arab Emirates Mission to the United Nations in New York, in collaboration with the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), has hosted a briefing to engage Members States in evaluating the humanitarian situation and possible responses in the Horn of Africa. The meeting featured briefings by the UN’s humanitarian heads in Ethiopia, Somalia, and South Sudan.
The United Arab Emirates and the UN Refugees Agency have signed a US$4 million agreement to provide emergency relief to South Sudanese refugees in Uganda.
The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, MoFAIC, indicated that the signing of the agreement marks the culmination of the pledge made by the UAE during the "Uganda Solidarity Summit on Refugees" held in the Ugandan capital Kampala, worth US$5 million, which included US$4 million to support refugees from South Sudan in Uganda through UNHCR.
Reem bint Ibrahim Al Hashemi, Minister of State for International Cooperation, announced the UAE's pledge of AED18.4 million (US$5 million) in support of refugees in Uganda, according to the directives of the country's judicious leadership.
This came during the first "Refugee Solidarity Summit," attended by President of Uganda, Yoweri Museveni, a number of African heads of state, and ministers from donor countries. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was also there.
The UAE Red Crescent Society (RCS) launched yesterday a relief campaign to help famine victims in the African Horn. Relief supplies will be distributed in drought-and-famine struck countries under instructions form President H.H.