Appeals & Response Plans
- Uganda: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2018
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Tanzania: Earthquake - Sept 2016
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- Uganda: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Uganda: Measles Outbreak - Aug 2013
- Uganda: Cholera Outbreak - May 2013
- Uganda: Floods - May 2013
- Uganda: Marburg Fever Outbreak - Oct 2012
- Uganda: Ebola Outbreak - Jul 2012
Most read (last 30 days)
- Press statement on rumoured Ebola outbreak in Mubende district
- Child Poverty and Deprivation in Refugee-Hosting Areas: Evidence from Uganda
- Uganda / Africa: Refugee Influx from DRC - Emergency Plan of Action (EPoA) update n° 1 DREF n°. MDRUG040
- Uganda: Inter-Agency Operational Update on the DRC Situation #33 (15-21 May 2018)
- Uganda Red Cross responds to Cholera Outbreak in Kampala, Uganda
The Oslo forum 2009 took place against the background of a new optimism, largely heralded by the new US administration and its emphasis on civility in international relations. After a period of confrontation marked by the 'war on terror' and weakening of mediation efforts, there is now a renewed demand in many areas for diplomacy and negotiation.
August 2009 will mark ten years since the signing of the Lusaka Ceasefire Agreement that ended the second Congo war. It also marks the tenth anniversary of the establishment of the UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUC). Yet, the violence persists at an enormous cost, access to land in eastern DRC remains contested, and control over revenues from natural resources remains in the hands of a few. Armed groups, both foreign and domestic, continue to operate with impunity in the eastern DRC and are the source of much of the insecurity in the region.
The African Mediators' Retreat 2009 was co-hosted by the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue (HD Centre) and the Mwalimu Nyerere Foundation on 24-27 March in Zanzibar. As part of the Oslo forum series - the endeavour of the HD Centre and the Norwegian government to work towards the strengthening of mediation practice - the African Mediators' Retreat 2009 was the second event taking place in Africa.