Appeals & Response Plans
- Uganda: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2018
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Tanzania: Earthquake - Sept 2016
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- Uganda: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Uganda: Measles Outbreak - Aug 2013
- Uganda: Cholera Outbreak - May 2013
- Uganda: Floods - May 2013
- Uganda: Marburg Fever Outbreak - Oct 2012
- Uganda: Ebola Outbreak - Jul 2012
Maps & Infographics
Most read (last 30 days)
- Funding gaps threaten critical aid for refugees in Uganda
- Government launches new Rotavirus vaccine to protect children in Uganda from diarrhea
- WHO and KOICA donate medical equipment to support Maternal and Child Health in Uganda
- Uganda Refugee Response - DRC Situation (08 June 2018)
- Uganda: UNHCR Operational Update, June 2018
By Richard Drasimaku
The authorities in Arua municipality have closed Hope Kebir primary school before following a cholera outbreak in the area.
The school is located amongst heavily crammed settlements in Kenya ward, Oli division where sporadic cholera cases have been reported since October.
Norah Fathu, the municipal principal health inspector said they found out last week that two cholera patients were sharing a latrine with the children from the school located less than 10 metres away from their house.
By Darious Magara and Innocent Anguyo
The Police have halted visitation of inmates in all prisons across the city and neighbouring districts.
The move is aimed at curbing the spread of the deadly Ebola haemorrhagic fever among inmates and other people.
Addressing the media at a weekly Police briefing yesterday, Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesperson Ibin Ssenkumbi yesterday said the visitors will only be given access to the suspects if the reason is serious enough.
By Taddeo Bwambale and agencies
The Government will next year start free vaccination against pneumonia, the biggest killer of children below the age of five worldwide.
Health ministry spokesperson Rukia Nakamatte confirmed that the ministry had received funding to roll-out the Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine.
The vaccine helps protect children against streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria.
By Goodluck Musinguzi
Another person has died of the Marburg viral disease in the southwestern district of Kabale, bringing the total number of such deaths to seven.
Lydia Rusanyuka died Saturday morning at Rushoroza health center three after spending less than a week under medical care inside the isolation center.
The deadly virus claimed its seventh victim just a little over a week since its outbreak in the district was first reported by health experts.
By Vision Reporters
One of the two people, who were admitted on Monday with signs of the deadly marburg fever, has died.
Edward Turyamureba, a 38-year-old resident of Kicumbi Cell, Kamuganguzi sub-county, succumbed to severe bleeding and vomiting on Tuesday evening.
He is the sixth person suspected to have died from the disease since it was reported earlier this month. He was laid to rest at a brief funeral yesterday.
Two people were admitted to an isolation centre at Rushoroza Health Centre III in Kabale district on Monday.
By Emmanuel Alomu
Floods in Katakwi have greatly affected the Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) Exams which started a week ago.
Candidates of Magoro Comprehensive SS always start their exams more than 30 minutes late because they have to wait until the boat which delivers question papers arrives.
Of the 40 registered candidates in the school, 38 are sitting but two disappeared immediately after registration.
However, Toroma police post examination collection centre is cut off from the school.
Over 600 households that were displaced by floods in Ntoroko district after River Semuliki burst its banks are calling for more relief support from Government and other non-governmental organisations.
The floods, which cut off sub counties of Butungama, Bweramule and Kanara, destroyed property ranging from houses to domestic animals.
“I have received reports that a number of goats and cows have been killed by floods,” Edward Birungi, a parish chief in Butungama, said. He quickly added that no human death has been reported so far.
By Goodluck Musinguzi and Patrick Murangira
Seven people were killed in Kabale and Kisoro districts after being hit by lightning over the weekend following the onset of the rainy season.
The rains have been heavily pummeling the region for the last couple of weeks, with bridges flooding and roads cut off.
The South Western Regional Police spokesman Elly Maate confirmed that in Kabale district, two people were struck by lightning in Kamwirima cell, Kanjobe parish, Kyanamira subcounty.
Uganda needs assistance to support the Congolese refugees who have fled conflict in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, international affairs state minister Henry Okello Oryem has said.
“We need support to reduce on the pressure that they are putting on the facilities and social services in Uganda. We have so far received over 114,000 refugees,” said Oryem.
He expressed concern that the armed conflict in eastern Congo may lead to violation of territorial integrity, abuse of women and children’s rights as well as use of child soldiers.
By Joseph Wanzusi
People living in the landslide-prone areas of Bulambuli, Sironko, Bududa and Manafwa districts are worried as torrential rains continue to pound the hilly terrains in Bugisu sub-region.
According to Bumasobo parish chief in Bumasifwa sub-county in Sironko district, residents of Bumaguze, Bumasobo, Bumukune parts of Bufaka and Bunamanda have already experienced minor mudslides where crops have been destroyed.
By Ismael Kasooha
The national Ebola task force has lifted a ban that had been slapped on all public gatherings in Kibaale district.
“We have deemed it necessary to allow public gatherings (in places) such as markets, schools and any other social gatherings to open up because the Ebola epidemic is now contained,” Dr. Jackson Amony, the national coordinator of the Ebola task force said.
All public gatherings had been banned following the outbreak of the Ebola epidemic that was declared on July 28.
By Anne Mugisa And Ismael Kasooha
The Ministry of Health will send health experts to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to help them combat an outbreak of the deadly Ebola haemorrhagic fever there.
The ministry’s permanent secretary, Dr. Asuman Lukwago, said this was intended to prevent the disease from spilling over into Uganda, which is emerging from another Ebola epidemic.
By yesterday, reports indicated that one person had died of Ebola and three others were infected in northeastern Congo.
By Francis Kagolo
The recent Ebola outbreak in Kibaale district has been contained, with no new case recorded in the last two weeks, the health ministry has announced.
Dr. Dennis Lwamafa, acting director general of health services, said in a statement that the last confirmed admitted case to Kagadi Hospital was on August 3.
“There have not been new cases reported since then,” Lwamafa confirmed.
By Francis Kagolo and Ismael Kasooha
Fifty two days after the first patient died of Ebola in Kibaale district, the outbreak is still shrouded in mystery. A mother left her two-month-old baby sleeping in a mud and wattle hut and went to her crop garden.
On return, she found the baby dead. The baby’s left palm had the sign of an animal bite. Neighbours who spoke to Sunday Vision suspected that it could have been a monkey, but no one really saw it.
By Taddeo Bwamba Le, Violet Nabatan Zi and Ismael Kasooha
A total of 29 people in Kibaale district, who were initially suspected of having contracted the deadly Ebola virus, have been cleared to return home, the health ministry has said.
Of the 36 cases that are in isolation, only three have been confirmed to have the Ebola virus, the health ministry spokesperson, Rukia Nakamatte, told New Vision online
By Vision Reporters
Four more patients suspected to be suffering from Ebola have died as 14 new cases are also currently isolated in wards at Kagadi and Mulago hospitals.
This brings the death toll to 18 in the country's third massive wave of Ebola outbreaks in the last one decade.
The first was in Gulu in 2000, followed by that in Bundibugyo in 2007 where hundreds of people died and others were infected.
Medical authorities were also Tuesday investigating a suspected Ebola case in Mbarara. The case was placed under isolation.
By Ismael Kasooha and Conan Businge
Over 210 schools in Ebola-hit areas of Kibaale have been ordered to break off early for holidays. All schools in the country are expected to officially close at the end of this week.
The district education officer, John Kyaboona, said he had ordered all schools to close immediately. “Any school that fails to comply shall be dealt with accordingly,” Kyaboona said.
By Paul Watala
A total of 58 homesteads have been affected following landslides that hit Mbale district Thursday afternoon.
The most affected villages include Bunakamuli A, Bunakamuli B, Busoba, and Bunamondi all in Wanale Sub County which is about 28 kilometers from Mbale town in the eastern part of Uganda.
No causalities so far reported and local leaders are appealing for aid to evacuate the affected people.
This comes barely two weeks after the Bulucheke mudslides buried houses and killed people in Bududa district.
By Wilfred Sanya
The Government has directed all the people living on the steep areas of Bududa district to relocate to safer areas, State minister of Disaster preparedness Musa Echweru.
“We have directed the people in Bududa district to relocate following the disaster management report released to government by experts. The report says a crack has developed on hills where people died and we expect massive landslides and it is our duty to protect the people in advance this time”, said Echweru.
By Joseph Wanzusi
Rescue workers have recovered two more bodies buried in the mud after a landslide roared down rain-saturated hills and engulfed homes in Bududa two weeks ago, local authorities said.
This brings to four the number of bodies pulled out of the lanslide rubble however many people remain missing.