Appeals & Response Plans
- Uganda: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2018
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Tanzania: Earthquake - Sept 2016
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- Uganda: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Uganda: Measles Outbreak - Aug 2013
- Uganda: Cholera Outbreak - May 2013
- Uganda: Floods - May 2013
- Uganda: Marburg Fever Outbreak - Oct 2012
- Uganda: Ebola Outbreak - Jul 2012
Maps & Infographics
Most read (last 30 days)
- As Uganda confirms active cholera outbreak, UNHCR and health actors alarmed at deteriorating situation in Kyangwali
- WHO supports Government of Uganda to respond to the Cholera Outbreak among Refugees
- Uganda starts biometric verification of refugees
- Tens of thousands of children flee conflict in Democratic Republic of Congo in under two months
- Uganda - Cholera Outbreak (DG ECHO, Ugandan Ministry of Health) (ECHO Daily Flash of 28 February 2018)
Representatives from UNDP-supported Climate Information and Early Warning Systems Projects in Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia recently toured meteorological facilities in the Philippines on a cross-continental mission to explore 'New Opportunities for the Deployment of Modern Climate and Weather Information Systems.' In this blog, Pascal Onegiu Okello looks at how takeaways from the South-South learning mission can be applied in Africa.
By Pascal Onegiu Okello
Written by: AlertNet correspondent
LONDON (AlertNet) - Amid frequent headlines about conflict-ridden Somalia, Afghanistan and Sudan, it is easy to overlook less well publicised emergencies in other parts the world. Yet some of these forgotten crises are likely to intensify in 2010, aggravating human suffering.
Here is a selection of some of the under-reported humanitarian emergencies at risk of deteriorating this year.
by Erika Williams
"I thought I was going to die, but through counseling I made up my mind to stay healthy," says Helen Nyeko.
Helen, who lives in northern Uganda, tested positive for HIV in 1992 while she was caring for her husband, who was dying from the illness. Two years later, she made the decision to live.
- Con excepción de Argelia, existían negociaciones formales o exploratorias en todos los conflictos africanos. A escala global, en el 73% de los conflictos armados existentes hay negociaciones abiertas.
- Una vez completado el despliegue de las misiones de mantenimiento de la paz en Côte d'Ivoire, Somalia, Sudán y RD Congo, en estos cuatro países habrá unos 54.000 cascos azules.
- Finalizaron sin éxito los intentos de negociación con la guerrilla ELN, en Colombia, y con el grupo maoísta CPI, en el estado de Andra Pradesh (India).