Appeals & Response Plans
- Uganda: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2018
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Tanzania: Earthquake - Sept 2016
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- Uganda: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Uganda: Measles Outbreak - Aug 2013
- Uganda: Cholera Outbreak - May 2013
- Uganda: Floods - May 2013
- Uganda: Marburg Fever Outbreak - Oct 2012
- Uganda: Ebola Outbreak - Jul 2012
Most read reports
- Uganda prepares to vaccinate against Ebola in case the virus strikes the country
- Uganda Launches new Education Response Plan for Africa’s biggest refugee crisis
- Temperature Check: Border Screening of Travelers Key to Stopping Ebola from Spreading
- Low-Cost Improvements Through Agricultural Extension Lift Food Security in Uganda
- Uganda: UNHCR Refugees Situation (September 2018)
Incentives and sanctions are used by external actors to try to stop armed conflicts in the short term. But are they effective in promoting peace? This research by Conciliation Resources argues that these instruments are often not used as part of a broader strategy aimed at resolving conflict. They are often a confused mix of coercion and assistance, which neither force nor encourage the conflict parties towards a negotiated settlement.
- JOINT MILITARY OPERATIONS AGAINST LRA LAUNCHED BY UGANDA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF
THE CONGO AND SOUTH SUDAN
- HEPATITIS E EPIDEMIC IN NORTHERN UGANDA WANING, BUT ONCHOCERCIASIS BECOMING A
MAJOR PUBLIC HEALTH CONCERN
- GENERAL FOOD DISTRIBUTION RESUMES IN NORTH KARAMOJA, SAVE IN KAABONG DISTRICT
II. SECURITY AND ACCESS
The situation in northern Uganda remained stable and secure during the reporting period.
REDUCING AVOIDABLE LOSS OF LIFE AND THE DISEASE BURDEN DUE TO EMERGENCIES IN UGANDA
The General Context in Uganda
Uganda is making good progress in its drive towards achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) targets; HIV sero prevalence rates have stabilized at 6.4% (although the rate of new infections are said to be on the increase), there is better awareness about HIV and improved access to ART in the country and modest improvements have been made in Infant, under 5 and maternal Mortality rates.
On October 15, 2007 the Government of Uganda (GoU) launched the Peace, Recovery and Development Plan (PRDP) to help greater Northern Uganda transition from war to peace. Although the PRDP is a relatively new policy, enough time has now passed to assess key challenges that are emerging. This report assesses PRDP implementation since the official launch over one year ago.
Since the late 1990s, as the search for solutions to protracted conflict has deepened, the potential role of traditional justice in responding to the situation in Northern Uganda has been increasingly researched and discussed. The roots of traditional practices lie in principles and mechanisms used in pre-colonial communities to ensure the maintenance of a just society.
The Uganda Red Cross has been implementing the Development assistance for refugee hosting areas, (DAR) in the branches/districts of Hoima, Masindi, Nebbi and Arua, DAR (health and care) programme are implemented based on the strategic framework and current activities of URCS as well as the society's specific role vis-à-vis Government of Uganda. Most people still lack the basic necessities for life, they are impoverished by lack of economic activities; physically weakened by HIV/AIDS and many cannot provide for their nutrition needs.
- The total number of Internally Displaced People in the CEA region is 9.1 million in December 2008.
KINSHASA, 31 décembre 2008 (IRIN) - Des dizaines de milliers de civils ont fui leurs villages dans le nord-est de la République démocratique du Congo (RDC) à la suite d'attaques qui ont fait 189 morts et auraient été menées par l'Armée de résistance du Seigneur, un mouvement rebelle ougandais, selon le Bureau des Nations Unies pour la coordination des affaires humanitaires (OCHA).
« Toute la population de Faradje [à 80 kilomètres de la frontière soudanaise], soit quelque 30 000 personnes, est partie.
Vulnérables et victimes - Kabare après la tourmente.
<<Ca ne pourrait être qu'une joie ! Je sauterais même au dessus de la maison ». Comme pour Rugusha Badesire Emmanuel, tel est l'espoir que pourrait représenter le nouveau projet lancé par le HCR Sud-Kivu. Il s'agit d'un projet d'appui à la construction d'un abri pour 400 familles retournées dans le territoire de Kabare.
Les principales activités du HCR Burundi
1. Le rapatriement et la réintégration des réfugiés burundais.
2. Protection et assistance de 28 143* réfugiés et demandeurs d'asile, dont 17 086* Congolais installés dans les camps de Gihinga (Mwaro), de Gasorwe (Muyinga) et de Musasa (Ngozi), et 230* Rwandais dans le camp de Giharo (Rutana).
UNHCR Burundi main operational activities
1. Repatriation and reintegration of Burundian refugees.
2. Assistance and protection of 28,143* refugees and asylum seekers, including 17,086* Congolese living in Gihinga (Mwaro), Gasorwe (Muyinga), Musasa (Ngozi) refugee camps, and 230* Rwandans living in Giharo (Rutana) refugee camp. UNHCR Burundi provides protection and some assistance to as many as 10,825* urban refugees and asylum seekers, of which approximately 99 % are Congolese (DRC).
* Provisional figure under revision.
The Northern region, which is identified by official statistics as trailing behind the central, western and eastern regions in terms of poverty reduction, has experienced multiple and severe shocks including drought, civil war lasting for over 10 years and loss of cattle to Karamojong raids. The signing of a peace agreement between the Government of Uganda (GOU) and the Resistance Army (LRA) and initial implementation of terms bears hope for Northern Uganda. It is in this context that the 2008/09 Cluster Plan of Action (PoA) for Northern Uganda has been developed.
This price watch bulletin covers the quarterly period from September to November 2008. The objective of the bulletin is to provide early warning information on price changes of staple food commodities and their likely impact on the cost of the food basket. Price changes are determined for each country on a quarterly basis.
- Prices still remain significantly higher compared to last year and long term averages, especially in Eastern and Southern Africa, Asia and Middle East.
In response to the dramatic rise of global food prices since 2007, WFP has been providing funding and technical support to WFP staff and partners to assess the impact of higher prices and structural vulnerabilities and a growing and 'new face of hunger'.
Following the attacks of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) rebels on civilian populations in many territories of Haut Uele district in northeastern DRC since 25 December last, the United Nations Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUC) has declared that it is now taking steps to both protect and assist civilians in the area.
"Pursuant to its mandate, MONUC will do everything in its power to continue to protect civilians, notably by bringing substantial support to the DRC Armed Forces (FARDC)," said MONUC in a press release published on Tuesday.
In this regard, …
La situation sécuritaire dans l'est de la RDC est toujours précaire. En plus de cela une épidémie d'Ebola vient d'être confirmée dans la province du Kasaï Occidental, zone de santé de Mweka. L'épidémie de choléra au Zimbabwe n'est toujours pas sous contrôle. L'épidémie s'est propagée dans les pays d'Afrique australe.