Appeals & Response Plans
- Uganda: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2018
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Tanzania: Earthquake - Sept 2016
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- Uganda: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Uganda: Measles Outbreak - Aug 2013
- Uganda: Cholera Outbreak - May 2013
- Uganda: Floods - May 2013
- Uganda: Marburg Fever Outbreak - Oct 2012
- Uganda: Ebola Outbreak - Jul 2012
Most read reports
- Govt to move Ebola screening equipment to Kasese
- Refugee health report Uganda - September 2018 bulletin
- Uganda: UNHCR Logistics as of 19 Oct 2018
- Uganda Red Cross launches emergency appeal to support Bududa landslide victims
- Uganda Red Cross takes relief to families affected in the Bududa landslides
- LRA COMMANDER ONCE AGAIN FAILS TO SIGN FINAL PEACE AGREEMENT, BUT PEACE PROCESS CONTINUES
- SOME 30,000 CONGOLESE REFUGEES NEWLY ARRIVED IN UGANDA SINCE AUGUST 2008
- HEAVY RAINS LEAD TO LOCAL ACCESS CONSTRAINTS IN SOME AREAS OF NORTHERN UGANDA AND KARAMOJA IN NOVEMBER
- HEPATITIS E VIRUS OUTBREAK CONTINUES MORE THAN ONE YEAR AFTER FIRST REPORTED; MORE THAN 9,100 CASES RECORDED IN KITGUM AND PADER; NO NEW CASES IN GULU AND AMURU FOR TWO MONTHS
ACTED Uganda is part of a consortium of NGOs currently implementing a three-year Drought management project in North Pokot (Western Kenya-Uganda border).
- Epidemic outbreak of cholera in Nakivale refugee settlement camp
- Rapid Epidemiological Mapping of Onchocerciasis survey completed in Kitgum and Pader districts.
- Response to Hepatitis E outbreak in Northern Uganda continues as trends stagnate in Kitgum and increase in Pader district
- A drive to eradicate Human African Trypanosomiasis (HAT) launched in Dokolo district
General Situation: Political, Social and Security
Refugees from Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC); As of 30th November 2008, over 27,000 refugees had crossed from DRC into Uganda.
- Eight new cases of Hepatitis. E were registered in Epi week 48 (24th/11/08 to 30rd/11/08).
- A cumulative of 83 cases has been notified to date, since the onset of the epidemic on 21st May 2008.
- No death was reported in week 48, the cumulative number still remains 7 deaths and a CFR is now 8.4%.
- The numbers of Sub Counties that have reported at least a case are 15/19 (78.9%). Many cases still remain reported from Pader TC, Atanga S/C, Acholibur S/C, Kilak S/C & Laguti
REFUGEE NEWS BRIEFINGS
TANZANIA: REPATRIATION AND CLOSURE OF REFUGEE CAMPS
Over the last six years, more than 400,000 refugees from Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have returned home. However despite an agreement between the Congolese and Tanzanian governments, there has been a significant reduction in the number of refugees returning to South Kivu in eastern Congo.
Since 2005, more than 60,000 Congolese have returned home.
By Skye Wheeler
NABANGA, Sudan, Nov 30 (Reuters) - Uganda's fugitive rebel leader Joseph Kony told traditional elders he will not sign a final peace deal until an international arrest warrant for him is scrapped, the chief mediator said on Sunday.
Riek Machar, the vice president of south Sudan, said Kony met about 20 religious and cultural dignitaries from Uganda who trekked deep into the Congolese forest to try to convince him to lay down his arms after two decades of war.
The war has killed tens of thousands of people, uprooted two million more in northern Uganda alone and …
The overall goal of USAID/Uganda's OTI program is to support the voluntary return of displaced northern Ugandans by increasing their confidence in the government and in the ongoing transition process. Toward this goal, OTI will focus on the following objectives:
1. Enhance the capacity of the Ugandan media, particularly in northern Uganda, to research, inform, and report on issues relevant to peace, recovery, and development;
2. Increase the visibility of, and confidence in, all levels of government through the delivery of targeted, strategic interventions; and
UNHCR Burundi main operational activities
1. Repatriation and reintegration of Burundian refugees.
2. Assistance and protection of 28,143 refugees and asylum seekers, including 17,086 Congolese living in Gihinga (Mwaro), Gasorwe (Muyinga), Musasa (Ngozi) refugee camps, and 230 Rwandans living in Giharo (Rutana) refugee camp. UNHCR Burundi provides protection and some assistance to as many as 10,825 urban refugees and asylum seekers, of which approximately 99 % are Congolese (DRC).
Les principales activités du HCR Burundi
1. Le rapatriement et la réintégration des réfugiés burundais.
2. Protection et assistance de 28 143 réfugiés et demandeurs d'asile, dont 17 086 Congolais installés dans les camps de Gihinga (Mwaro), de Gasorwe (Muyinga) et de Musasa (Ngozi), et 230 Rwandais dans le camp de Giharo (Rutana). Le HCR au Burundi assiste sous diverses formes et veille également à la protection de quelque 10 825 réfugiés urbains et demandeurs d'asile, dont 99 % sont originaires de la République Démocratique du Congo (RDC).
Kampala, Uganda (dpa) The leader of a major rebel faction failed to turn up Saturday for a long-awaited ceremony to sign a truce intended to end more than two decades of war in the country's north, Ugandan military officials said Saturday.
There was no sign of Joseph Kony, head of the notorious Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), army spokesman major Paddy Akunda told Deutsche Presse-Agentur.
Radio news reports said scores of religious and political leaders from the war-ravaged region have been waiting in the bushes of southern Sudan for days for Kony.
By Frank Nyakairu
ISHASHA, Uganda, Nov 29 (Reuters) - The U.N.
Kampala_(dpa) _ Thousands of Congolese refugees continued to pour into neighbouring Uganda on Saturday after rebels seized two border towns in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, UN and Ugandan military officials said.
Around 2,000 Congolese refugees crossed the border between Friday night and Saturday morning, Ugandan army spokesman Captain Tabaro Kiconco told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa.
The civilians began fleeing renewed battles around mid-week and 13,000 had entered Uganda by Thursday.
Some 27,000 Congolese have fled into Uganda since fighting between the rebels and …
Joseph Tshimanga / MONUC
Thousands of Congolese civilians continue to flee the violence in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo towards Uganda, where the Office of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) must deal with 27,000 people, displaced since the beginning of the war in North Kivu at the end of August 2008.
In a Radio Okapi report, ten thousand new Congolese refugees arrived Thursday last in the district of Kamungu, along with 3,000 others who entered the district on Wednesday last, according to UNHCR staff based at the frontier city of Ishasha in southwestern …
The number of refugees fleeing Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) into Uganda has reached 27, 000 since August, according to a statement by UNHCR. UNHCR estimates that over 1,300 refugees have crossed through Ishasha in Kanungu in the past two days.
The recent influx is attributed to reports that the rebels have captured the towns of Nyamirima and Kananondi which has sparked off this current wave of refugees to Ishasha.
In Kisoro, many of the refugees at the different border points have returned to Congo.
Le Haut Commissariat des Nations Unies pour les réfugiés (UNHCR) a démarré vendredi les premiers transferts volontaires de civils congolais déplacés des camps de Kibati vers des sites plus sûrs à l'ouest de Goma, la capitale provinciale du Nord Kivu dans l'est de la République Démocratique du Congo (RDC),
« Les véhicules de l'UNHCR transporteront le premier groupe de personnes présentant des problèmes particuliers tels que des handicapés physiques, des malades chroniques, des femmes enceintes et des personnes âgées - et leurs affaires - vers le camp de Mugunga I - l'un …
Uganda Red Cross Kampala East branch has graduated 75 Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) in tailoring.
Uganda Red Cross Society plans to support 800-1,000 households of internally displaced people with flood resistant shelters. The districts to benefit include Kitgum, Pader and Gulu.
The National Society through its fundraising drives like the Golf Tournament, the MTN Marathon and the Annual Fundraising Dinner that was held on 15th November, hopes to raise Shs300 million for the construction of modest homes at Shs370,000 each.
Au moins 10 000 Congolais on traversé la frontière pour la seule journée d'hier jeudi. Ces personnes déclarent fuir l'avancée des troupes du CNDP. Le bureau du Haut commissariat pour les réfugiés (HCR) en Ouganda affirme que des milliers de nouveaux réfugiés congolais ont continué à affluer ce vendredi matin en Ouganda, indique radiookapi.net
Ils s'ajoutent à plus de 10 000 autres, arrivés jeudi à la mi-journée dans le district ougandais de Kanungu, au sud ouest de l'Ouganda. Ils y sont arrivés après avoir franchi le poste frontalier de Ishasha du côté congolais.
- Between 25-27 Noevmber 2008, around 13,000 Congolese refugees fled into Uganda through Ishasha border point, Kanungu district
- the total number of Congolese refugees who fled to Uganda since the beginning of the influx in August 2008 is therefore of approximately 27,000
- the refugees recently arrived in Ishasha are being transported to Nakivale, where so far 8,486 new arrivals are being accomodated (since the beginning of August)
- a new transit centre with a capacity of 50,000 people will be established at 27 km from Ishasha border in the coming …
This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson William Spindler - to whom quoted text may be attributed - at the press briefing, on 28 November 2008, at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
We are starting this morning the first voluntary transfers of displaced Congolese civilians from the Kibati camps on the northern outskirts of Goma, the capital of volatile North Kivu province in the east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
UNHCR vehicles will transport the first group of people with special needs such as those with physical disabilities, chronic illnesses, …