- Tunisia: Forest Fires - Aug 2017
- Europe/Northern Africa: Cold Wave - Jan 2012
- Tunisia: Flash Floods - Sep 2009
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- Tunisia: Flash Floods - Oct 2007
- North Africa: Floods - Apr 2007
- Locusts - Aug 2004
- Tunisia: Floods - Jan 2003
- Tunisia: Floods - Jan 1990
- Tunisia: Floods - Oct 1986
The movement of refugees and migrants across the Sahara and the central Mediterranean Sea towards Europe continues to have a devastating toll on human life. Between January and August 2017, an estimated 2,270 refugees and migrants died at sea in the central Mediterranean. It is estimated that many others died on their way across the desert and in detention centres.
The discussions in this booklet aim to address the complexity of risk in the Arab region, and present some tools which can be used by local governments, civil society and other institutions working in the field of environment and disaster risk reduction. In the Arab region the effects of human behavior on the environment has caused a growing concern since the early 1980s and from the end of the same decade the question of climate change has gradually received more attention.