Syrian Arab RepublicOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- Major UN aid delivery to Syria from Jordan [EN/AR]
- Polio outbreak in Syria successfully stopped
- Almost all UNRWA installations in Yarmouk and Dera’a in Syria severely damaged or destroyed
- SARC organized GIS training workshop
- UN and SARC deliver humanitarian assistance to 50,000 people in Rukban [EN/AR]
NEW YORK, 28 November 2018 – In the wake of recent information released by the Government of the Syrian Arab Republic on the deaths of numerous detained and/or missing persons, the Commission of Inquiry stresses the need for the Syrian State to account for the fate and whereabouts of detained and missing individuals countrywide.
In the refugee health sector in Turkey during the 2nd quarter of 2018, there were some 70 health sector working group partners including donors and the mental health & psychosocial support sub-working group. The Syrian refugee population stood at more than 3.5 million, more than 140 refugee health centres were operational in Turkey of which 7 are supported by WHO and used as training centres for Syrian medical personnel.
21 November 2018
Throughout the Middle East region last week, there was a significant decrease in both reported fatalities and remote violence events, the latter of which can be partly explained by the ceasefire along the Gazan border. Demonstrations have also decreased throughout the majority of the region, with the exception of in Bahrain, where both riots and protests increased as a result of opposition to the 24 November election. Elsewhere, battles continue along their respective fronts in Syria, Yemen, Iraq, and Turkey, while in Iran labour demonstrations continue with no end in sight.
• In October in Al-Hassakeh governorate in Syria, almost 70,000 school children (70 per cent of all children attending Ministry of Education schools) were negatively impacted by a local authority decision to ban transportation of children to schools to attend the nationally accredited curriculum. UNICEF and partners are advocating with the local authorities to resolve the issue.
Harikar NGO is a neutral, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization established in 30th May 2004 by group of social activists. Harikar NGO as stated in its mission statement strives toward the fulfilment of human and women rights in Duhok Governorate as stipulated in the new Iraqi constitution of 15th October 2005. Harikar is committed to-within its resources-contribute towards the achievement of the internationally agreed Millennium Development Goals.
27 November 2018
Ein El Hilweh refugee camp is home to thousands of Palestine refugees, making it the biggest camp of its kind in Lebanon. The UNRWA Rafidia Preparatory Girls’ School, located near the camp, provides education to over 600 Palestine refugees.
UNICEF facing $33 million funding shortfall for lifesaving winter supplies and cash assistance for children, placing them at risk of illness, school absences or death
The recruitment and exploitation of children in war persists at alarming levels across multiple conflicts. However, the reality of their experiences, how they ended up there, and where they exist are often mis-represented. Here, we address some of the most common child soldier myths.
UNHCR assists some 33,000 Syrian refugee families with its multi-purpose cash assistance programme (MCAP). UNHCR aims to support vulnerable families to meet their most basic survival needs and live a life of dignity. The UNHCR basic needs approach is designed to enable refugee families’ increased access to assistance and services, with the goal to achieve longer term wellbeing and improved socio-economic situation.
Geneva – IOM, the UN Migration Agency, reports that 106,269 migrants and refugees entered Europe by sea in 2018 through 25 November. Spain topped 51,984 – more irregular arrivals to Spain through this point in 2018 than all arrivals during the past three years combined (see Table 6)
1,469 MT of food assistance distributed
US$0.96 million cash-based transfers made
US$64.0 million six months (December 2018 - May 2019) net funding requirements
316,370 people assisted in October 2018
• Returns of displaced Iraqis to their areas of origin continue, with almost 4.11 million returnees and 1.86 million internally displaced persons (IDPs) as of 30 October (IOM Displacement Tracking Matrix) with the highest number of IDPs in Ninewa, Dohuk, and Erbil.
- On 14 November, a young man from Syria died in the hospital in Belgrade despite receiving all possible treatment, as reportedly he had not been able to properly treat an injury sustained on the way to Serbia, resulting in major complications. This is yet another example illustrating the dangers of the current situation of mixed movements of people.
November 27th, 2018 ― Doha: Qatar Red Crescent Society's (QRCS) mission in Lebanon has completed a community-based project to enhance the sanitation services at four Syrian refugee camps in Joub Jannine, the capital of West Beqaa.
Amman, 27 November 2018
I am appalled by the findings of the recently released Secretary-General’s country report on children and armed conflict in Syria. Covering almost five years of conflict in Syria, the report documents a devastating increase in grave violations against children each year by all parties to the conflict active in Syria.