Most read reports
- Seychelles sets course to establish a Nutrition Information System
- Seychelles: Dengue Outbreak Emergency Plan of Action Final Report DREF Operation n° MDRSC004
- Seychelles country cooperation strategy at a glance
- Engaging media for effective risk communication in Seychelles
- Seychelles – Suspected Plague (Ex- Madagascar), 26 Oct 2017
Ladies and Gentlemen,
1. Let me first thank the organisers for this opportunity to speak at this prestigious gathering.
2. The earthquake and tsunami disaster of 26 December 2004 have brought in their wake not only unprecedented loss of life and property, but more importantly laid bare our unpreparedness and our weaknesses in collectively addressing such large scale calamities. The sad thing is we, in fact, have the technology and resources to deal with such disasters. Unfortunately, we have not made the best use of these assets.
Special ASEAN Leaders' Meeting on aftermath of Earthquake And Tsunami Jakarta, 6 January 2005
We, the Heads of State/Government, Special Envoys and Heads of regional as well as international organizations, who gathered here on 6 January 2005 in Jakarta, Indonesia, expressed solemnly our profound sorrow and our solidarity to overcome the unprecedented catastrophe befalling the Indian Ocean rim countries on 26 December 2004.
This unprecedented devastation needs unprecedented global response in assisting the national governments to cope with such disaster.