Most read reports
- Seychelles: Dengue Outbreak Emergency Plan of Action Final Report DREF Operation n° MDRSC004
- Seychelles sets course to establish a Nutrition Information System
- Seychelles: Preparedness for the Plague Emergency Plan of Action Final Report DREF n° MDRSC005
- Seychelles country cooperation strategy at a glance
- Seychelles: Location Map (2013)
This year, World Water Day (March 22) highlights the importance of international efforts to preserve and protect the world’s shared water resources.
The United Nations has declared 2013 the International Year of Water Cooperation. According to UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon: ‘Water is central to the well-being of people and the planet, we must work together to protect and carefully manage this fragile, finite resource.’
- A total of 181 000 people have been
confirmed dead in the tsunami and more than 45 000 people are still missing.
- In Indonesia alone, a staggering 127
000 people lost their lives.
- A total of 1.5 million people lost their
On the morning of Sunday 26 December a severe earthquake in the ocean off the coast of northern Sumatra caused tsunamis (tidal waves) that devastated communities in neighbouring countries and other countries in the Indian Ocean. The earthquake measured 9.0 on the Richter Scale, the world's most severe in 40 years.