Most read reports
- Seychelles sets course to establish a Nutrition Information System
- Seychelles country cooperation strategy at a glance
- Seychelles: Preparedness for the Plague Emergency Plan of Action Final Report DREF n° MDRSC005
- Seychelles: Dengue Outbreak Emergency Plan of Action Final Report DREF Operation n° MDRSC004
- Engaging media for effective risk communication in Seychelles
"Making hospitals safe from disaster" was the theme of tomorrow's International Day for Disaster Reduction, the Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and the Emergency Relief Coordinator, John Holmes, said this afternoon at a Headquarters press conference to make the announcement.
The second Wednesday of October was designated in 1989 to be the International Day, Mr. Holmes went on.
Jan Egeland, the Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator, briefed journalists on a meeting being held in Geneva today and tomorrow of United Nations humanitarian coordinators from crisis areas where the Organizations maintains large operations. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the major challenges facing humanitarian relief efforts, with a view to ensuring a more coherent presence of the UN country teams, together with the Red Cross and Red Crescent societies. Mr.
Following damages caused by flooding last month, Seychelles needs international assistance to reverse serious disruption
before the next wet season in October, according to the latest situation report prepared by the United Nations Department of